Politics

10 lurkers | 212 watchers
16 Jul
9:02am, 16 Jul 2024
32,783 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
He did try and overturn an election... I'd say that qualified under "removing democracy". He will do it again.

The USA is slowly seeing democracy, accountability, ethics, institutions and the rule of Law being chipped away piece by piece.

"It won't be as bad as people say" is exactly the kind of response that will likely mean it will. If they don't wake up soon they are sunk.
16 Jul
9:07am, 16 Jul 2024
25,141 posts
  •  
larkim
I see zero redeeming qualities in Trump. He will act in bad faith, he will be that narcissistic bully.

But, as powerful as the US president is, there is still all the machinery of the state, the States themselves, the organisations and structures etc in place which act as checks and balances.

I'm not suggesting anyone lays back and thinks of England whilst he screws over the USA, and he will do damage as he did last time; and as you say, he will know where he went wrong and double down on some things.

But what comes out of his mouth is rhetoric and I take some of it with a pinch of salt.

But if he does get in, he will have his 4 years of presidency but that will be it for him. That's why I'm curious as to whether there is a real protege in the wings with the "charisma" that he appears to have which has captured the GOP.
16 Jul
9:07am, 16 Jul 2024
21,942 posts
  •  
Chrisull
JD Vance is potentially worse than Trump. Crikey, Trump gets in, keels over and welcome Handmaid's Tale. He even looks like he could be on of the rulers in Gilead.
16 Jul
9:22am, 16 Jul 2024
28,526 posts
  •  
richmac
You actually think he won't seek to overturn the 2 term rule & be presidentie for life ?
16 Jul
9:26am, 16 Jul 2024
2,921 posts
  •  
Canute
I think it is probable that if he wins again Trump will seriously damage US democracy, but perhaps fortunately, it is likely that he would promote US isolation. As I see it, the US has done a lot of harm in the world since 1960. Liberal democracies have relied too much on the US for leadership. It is time to leave the US to carve its own destiny and seek to create a new order that embraces all nations of goodwill.

It might be tough for Ukraine, but if the combined resources of the liberal democracies cannot outweigh the resources of Russia and Iran (with equivocal support from China) in withstanding ongoing Russian aggression (and address challenges from autocratic regimes in the future) the liberal democracies have no right to expect to make a major contribution to world affairs.

I have faith in liberal democracy, but do not see reliance on the power of single nation as a sound way forward.
16 Jul
9:32am, 16 Jul 2024
5,888 posts
  •  
paulcook
Canute wrote:I think it is probable that if he wins again Trump will seriously damage US democracy, but perhaps fortunately, it is likely that he would promote US isolation.

My biggest fear on the flipside of that is his further industrialisation and huge impact on climate change.
16 Jul
9:35am, 16 Jul 2024
25,142 posts
  •  
larkim
richmac wrote:You actually think he won't seek to overturn the 2 term rule & be presidentie for life ?

Yep, I 100% absolutely think that.

In an alternate world, I could see him campaigning on a platform which advocated for that. But *even if he sought it* (and I don't put him past dropping the thought in a random speech at some point), the process to amend the constitution would simply block it. Needs 2/3 majority in congress and senate, plus 75% confirmation from state legislatures. Not going to happen, even if he dreams of it.
16 Jul
9:36am, 16 Jul 2024
25,143 posts
  •  
larkim
paulcook wrote:Canute wrote:I think it is probable that if he wins again Trump will seriously damage US democracy, but perhaps fortunately, it is likely that he would promote US isolation. My biggest fear on the flipside of that is his further industrialisation and huge impact on climate change.

This is where I do fear him, hugely. Delay now, which he can absolutely cause, could yet be catastrophic irrespective of issues around democracy etc.
16 Jul
9:37am, 16 Jul 2024
2,922 posts
  •  
Canute
I agree that is a risk @paulcook However, we cannot rely on the US to set the agenda for dealing with climate change.
16 Jul
9:40am, 16 Jul 2024
25,144 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting to note though that even Clinton proposed amendments to the 2-term presidency (though he was suggesting non-consecutive terms could be more than 2x).

en.wikipedia.org

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.