Politics

12 lurkers | 212 watchers
jda
Dec 2019
5:13pm, 17 Dec 2019
6,002 posts
  •  
jda
Find it strange that so little comment (in mainstream news) has mentioned that Johnson is apparently threatening to unilaterally change the WA immediately prior to adopting it. Suspect the EU might have something to say about that.

But at least we know that Stander is among the gallery who are impressed by such grandstanding.
J2R
Dec 2019
5:22pm, 17 Dec 2019
2,468 posts
  •  
J2R
The mainstream news will, for a while, be concentrating on how Boris Johnson's government is "getting things done", all buoyant optimism. He will have a honeymoon period where little he does is questioned, because, well, questioning is so pre-election, isn't it? Questioning is petulant refusal to move on, to accept he has a stonking majority and is the People's Emperor.
Dec 2019
6:12pm, 17 Dec 2019
3,976 posts
  •  
Raemond
Most of the changes to the WAB are about domestic UK stuff I think, like parliamentary oversight or vague promises to aim for closer alignment post IP.

I've not seen anything about trying to renage on remaining bound by EU law during the IP, yet.
Dec 2019
6:45pm, 17 Dec 2019
22,997 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Yes. Johnson will have a honeymoon period before his limitations start to manifest themselves in ever more damaging ways. It isn't going to end well for him. Brexit has chewed up the last two Tory PMs and he will be the third.
jda
Dec 2019
7:04pm, 17 Dec 2019
6,003 posts
  •  
jda
The WA has a clause about AN extension being possible, so Johnson appears to be ripping up what he has just agreed to. Not exactly out of character for him or course, but the text was agreed with the EU.
Dec 2019
7:07pm, 17 Dec 2019
25,017 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I am not so sure, if May was any use, she would have got on with here original majority and we would be somewhere different now, I am certain that was vanity, she had no mandate from anyine and it bothered here. 80 seat majority, all sorts of new MPs that will do whatever he fancies, it is a different ball game now.
Dec 2019
7:24pm, 17 Dec 2019
3,670 posts
  •  
run free
Nah BJ won't be chewed up. The little horn wants to roar like a dragon and play with the big horn.....

The priorities will be Brexit without a deal so that the UK can freely trade with the US. Getting the US trade deal will be BJ's trophy win as far as the UK population is concerned. But it will mean at the expense of a number of things like our environmental regulations, which I doubt the general population will think is important as it will be played down vs cheap imports which means food on the table. Those who fought for a Climate Emergency will find it will be brushed aside as waste generation and transatlantic imports increases.

The NHS will continue to be eroded over the years (let's say over 10 years) so the general population accepts the transition to US health style service. The propaganda sound bites will continue to be the NHS needs reform and hence continues to provide the door for it to be divided up and regulated by US companies. The dogs are waiting to be released.

But at least BJ got Brexit done and we are no longer "ruled" by the EU which the UK used to have a more even say in the matter. Brexit is all that really matters to the public and BJ will be glorified by his adorning fans across the country for getting Brexit done & getting a US trade deal.
Dec 2019
7:55pm, 17 Dec 2019
1,058 posts
  •  
mushroom
We won't be ruled by EU..

We will, however, be a US lap dog...

Oh joy.
Dec 2019
8:07pm, 17 Dec 2019
22,998 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Well, we'll see. Thatcher got booted and she was a more serious politician than Johnson will ever be. His arrogance and ignorance will do for him. The only PM in the last 40 years to leave office at the time of his own choosing was Blair, and I can't see Johnson joining him in that achievement.
Dec 2019
8:13pm, 17 Dec 2019
3,977 posts
  •  
Raemond
Technically Cameron did too, JB.
It may well have been rather sooner than he intended but there wasn't that much actual direct pressure on him as far as I recall.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.