Politics

8 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
9:41am, 18 Dec 2019
3,671 posts
  •  
run free
Will be interesting if BJ repeals the fixed term parliament act. Hence Tories could stay in power for ever.
Dec 2019
9:44am, 18 Dec 2019
2,383 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I think they're going to get the Gerrymandering boundary changes through first RF, that will make it almost certain they win the next election.
J2R
Dec 2019
10:00am, 18 Dec 2019
2,469 posts
  •  
J2R
It seems OTannenbaumMike is of the same persuasion as me as regards the Labour leadership. I would go so far as to say they probably don't want someone electable as leader, because that would mean they might get into power and would then have to get their hands dirty and do stuff, as against being an ideologically pure protest movement. So Long-Bailey looks to be a shoe-in for the post.

From the point of view of the centre-to-left electorate as a whole, though, I would say that a Cooper/Starmer combo (whichever way round) would be a winner. It would put the fear of God into the Tories, and Johnson would be eaten alive at PMQ week in, week out. Not going to happen, of course, not while the party is in the grip of its current delusional state. The one, probably idle, hope I hold is that if the Left did put in one of their own such as Long-Bailey she may not turn out to be the Daughter of Corbyn they so desire, but might in time start to plough her own furrow. I have to say, though, that nothing I've seen of RLB so far really feeds that hope.
Dec 2019
10:03am, 18 Dec 2019
3,672 posts
  •  
run free
And also read somewhere that they will also be changing the judicial system so that govt ministers will be beyond legal scrutiny. Oh well a benevolent dictatorship has worked well for Singapore....be interesting to see how a dictatorship works in the UK.
Dec 2019
10:04am, 18 Dec 2019
3,673 posts
  •  
run free
They = Tories
Dec 2019
10:06am, 18 Dec 2019
9,812 posts
  •  
larkim
Whilst I broadly agree that Momentum et al end up pursuing the student politices type approach, I don't think they have the self awareness to realise what they are doing. Or maybe they do, but they are happier with consciences which say "we'd rather stick with our principles and not achieve power, than compromise our principles just to achieve power".

There won't be a moderate Labour party emerging in the next few months, I think that's for certain. Starmer is making the right noises about broad church and trying to signal that he is left of centre policy wise by not wanting to ditch overall policy direction; there is a hope that his simple competence and ability to articulate himself well under pressure will see him over-whelm the Left's favourites, but I'm not holding my breath.
J2R
Dec 2019
10:14am, 18 Dec 2019
2,470 posts
  •  
J2R
run free, yes, they can do that now because the current narrative gives them a popular mandate to address the 'problem' of the Establishment using the machinery of the state and all kinds of arcane procedures to thwart the Will of the People. Utter nonsense, of course - the Supreme Court only ruled the way it did because the Government was doing something illegal, not because it was an agent for Remain. But that's a nicety which will be lost on most people.

Now is a very dangerous time, the honeymoon period for a government with proto-fascist inclinations. A lot can be done which will be difficult to reverse.
jda
Dec 2019
10:28am, 18 Dec 2019
6,005 posts
  •  
jda
Starmer is the only one of them I could actually support. He's actually clever and capable. Wrong-daily is a fucking car crash every time she opens her mouth.
Dec 2019
10:30am, 18 Dec 2019
134 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
I could do with a giggle.

Nobody fancy Diane Abbott for leader?
J2R
Dec 2019
10:37am, 18 Dec 2019
2,471 posts
  •  
J2R
Stander, I'm absolutely not a fan of Diane Abbott, but your side has Priti Patel as Home Secretary, FFS. I don't think you're in a position to mock.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.