NDWDave
True. But most of us here aren’t [insert description of typical DUP MP]ers

And I don’t have to see any of you on TV spouting your views
Dec 2019
10:40pm, 13 Dec 2019
10,301 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Nice point, SailorSteve. It put a wry smile on my face!
Dec 2019
10:50pm, 13 Dec 2019
1,810 posts
  •  
I saw mummy kissing Pothunter
I’m glad you’re back Stander (and very glad you’ve got a new profile pic!). I think it important that diversity of political persuasion is represented.

This thread definitely skirts the line of acceptability at times. There are a number of strong personalities and [generalisation alert!] as athletes none of us like losing. On top of this the relatively anonymous nature of Fetch (and the internet in general) make it easy for discussions to get out of hand.

Whatever the result of the election we were never all going to be happy. None of us have a crystal ball and the beauty of democracy is we get to change our minds in 5 years time. Granted, they may be tough years, but perhaps there will be upsides too.

My request for the thread is that we keep the healthy debate and diversity of views going. But that we tone down the personal insults and allow everyone to feel safe for offering their opinion.
Dec 2019
10:54pm, 13 Dec 2019
1,811 posts
  •  
Oh and spare a thought for William Tobin. “Who??” I hear you ask. The independent candidate in BoJo’s constituency who who got a grand total of 5 votes!

Anyone seen any lower than that?
Dec 2019
11:14pm, 13 Dec 2019
9,319 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Saw a couple of interesintg things earlier.

1. Opinium have done a poll asking why former labour voters didn't vote labour. 43% of them stated Corbyn was the problem. Brexit was 2nd on about 22% and POlicy platform was on about 15%

2. Saw a twitter thread about Lab voters (from a momentum person I think) that was making some good points. Momentum is not going to go away. Nor should it, as it has enthused a huge number of younger voters and got them engaged in politics for the first time.

The policy platform isn't going to go away either (well not all of it) - particularly the ideas about housing, environment (inc Climate) and job insecurity because these are 3 of the issues that are most pressing for younger voters.

I posted the other day about the *big* issues that didn't get much play in the campaign - these are 3 of them. And the Conservative party has dodged them for 9 years and will continue to do so I suspect.

What Labour does need is a leader who can effecitively communicate *why* these are important and why the solutions being put forward are in the interests of all voters. Which is ironically what Blair was very good at.
Dec 2019
11:22pm, 13 Dec 2019
6,169 posts
  •  
Dooogs
All fair points, fozzy (although I suspect Momentum needs a rebrand to avoid being seen purely as a Corbynite continuity movement - which I don't think it solely is ).

A virtual chapeau for anyone who can come up with a left-wing/liberal mantra to rival "Get Brexit Done"....
Dec 2019
2:05am, 14 Dec 2019
3,662 posts
  •  
run free
Yup - people in my area saying they voted in a Tory mp they didn’t like cos they wanted Brexit. Others because they didn’t want Corbyn (who wouldn’t be our MP). Some think the MP can be replaced in a year or 2 if he hasn’t changed the way he’s been cos it’s a local election!
Dec 2019
7:06am, 14 Dec 2019
2,500 posts
  •  
OTannenbaumMike
If Momentum are still wielding influence, which I presume they are, then they will simply pick another loser. Voter's clearly don't have an appetite for this Old Labour.
Dec 2019
7:07am, 14 Dec 2019
29,514 posts
  •  
elfpint
I am only ever so slightly reassured that we can change our mind in 5 years. There’s a lot of damage can be done in 5 years. Brexit will have ramifications for far longer than 5 years. Not to mention I don’t trust the electorate to make decisions based on facts and evidence, and well thought through arguments.
Dec 2019
7:30am, 14 Dec 2019
1,812 posts
  •  
Fair point HP (or EP as I should call you this month :-) )

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.