Politics

212 watchers
jda
Dec 2019
5:59pm, 13 Dec 2019
5,983 posts
  •  
jda
"Brexit" will be "done". We won't be in the EU.
Dec 2019
6:05pm, 13 Dec 2019
9,317 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yes, but the point is that although Brexit might be *technically* done, we'll still be talking about it.

And that's the point. A significant number of people seem to think (judging from my perception of interviews and so forth on the telly, which of course could be wrong) Brexit being "over" means never talking about anything to do with it or anything related with it again.
Dec 2019
6:18pm, 13 Dec 2019
7,012 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Not had a chance to look at the news since 3:45am until about now, as been rather busy.

My main comment is to thank Stander as the content of their posts are making me look good in comparison.

I think I said everything else last night. Definitely need some sleep now.
Dec 2019
6:21pm, 13 Dec 2019
15,612 posts
  •  
Chrisull
fozzy - I'm with you on this. It will then be about the deal with the EU and the US.

Anyway another casualty of this election has to be tactical voting.

What is the point? What a waste of time.

I mean Kensington - what a shit show. Thanks Lib Dems for nothing.

So what to do instead?

It has to be a progressive alliance. A new Labour leader has to sign up for this. Any Labour candidate has to be asked their position on this. Good chance Scotland is gone within 5 years, so the only way Labour might win in this scenario, is with sensible agreements with Lib Dems, Plaid, the Greens.

And then if they get in. Proportional representation. Abolition of House of Lords (and replacing with partially elected, partially randomly selected) Devolution to local "Parliaments". European style democracy.
Dec 2019
6:21pm, 13 Dec 2019
6,164 posts
  •  
Dooogs
How was that interview?
Dec 2019
6:33pm, 13 Dec 2019
24,977 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think fozzy's comment at the bottom of the last page is the hope, that he will be held to account. If you ask me it will revolve around the North (in England at least) they have voted in droves for him, getting Brexit done, and spending that 350 mil on the NHS, of course it won't happen. So Johnson has to do something for all those voters up here, also, and this is the down side, who will be Labour's next credible leader not Long Bailey, or Raynor, together with McDonnell they are Crobyns mates and they'll have to go, clean break. I think, on balance, it is a very, very long way back.

Also, North Wales was amazing, Wrexham, it was targetted.....the writing was on the wall.

Tactical voting, indeed, didn;t work again. Hazel Grove, my patch, the LD vote went up, tye tried hard, but so did the Conservative one the push gt the Tory vote out too, and 5,000 people still voted Labour, helping the Tory in, they only have a majority of 4000 now.

As for Coe's book, I though it my help me think through what's happened, even if I don't agree wit it much, I thought a concentrated read might help. It's been a shit show by everyone except the SNP, well done them (easy job though given how crap everyone else is).
Dec 2019
6:40pm, 13 Dec 2019
7,013 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Dooogs - it went quite well although it was definitely the toughest interview I’ve ever had. The first stage was yesterday, and probably the best one I’ve ever had, that said it was a real shock to be honest to get called back for a second interview so quickly. May find out next week.
Dec 2019
6:41pm, 13 Dec 2019
24,979 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Good luck again, now get some sleep.....
Dec 2019
6:51pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,945 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Good it went ok TMW.

Both you and my son waiting to hear about interviews then.

Hope they let you both know soon
Dec 2019
7:05pm, 13 Dec 2019
9,959 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Re. Kensington, I'm pissed off at the LibDems and The Guardian. Emma Dent Coad only lost by 150 votes so maybe she'd have held on without Sam Gymah being parachuted in and rubbish advice on tactical voting. At least I decided to vote Labour so I don't have to blame myself.

It's been a horrible day and I'm struggling to get to acceptance - I'm now going to start a bottle of wine to see if that helps at all!

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.