Politics

2 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
4:10pm, 13 Dec 2019
33,673 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
You're loving it Stander, aren't you? Sorry, but lost a lot of respect for you.
Dec 2019
4:12pm, 13 Dec 2019
88 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Actually, Happy, yes I am.

I've earnt a smile given all the shit thrown at me (and other Tories/Leavers) in this thread.
Dec 2019
4:12pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,981 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think if Johnson tries to go too far down the regulatory alignment route to get a quick FTA he could come unstuck. The ERG, who must still be about 100 strong, will not take kindly to any suggestion that the EU continue to set our rules and we have to ask nicely before we can diverge. So that's one problem.

Conversely, the more he tries to push for freedom for us to set our own rules the more he will complicate the negotiations for an FTA.

That would lengthen the timelines and he could end up with a rebellion over that, too.

The buffoon is heading into a world of pain and is taking us with him, in short. This one will run on for years.
Dec 2019
4:15pm, 13 Dec 2019
89 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
I disagree on the timescale Johnny, but I do accept that NOW is when the hard work starts in earnest.

I still stand by my comment earlier today that I do believe the Tories better able to complete the task than Corbyn.
Dec 2019
4:19pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,982 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
But yes, we are out. Out out. The future relationship is gonna take years to sort. It's taken us 3 1/2 years to agree the divorce settlement and arguably that was the easy bit. Still waiting to hear:
A cogent case for why this game is worth the candle or
For the government to release the secret papers which show how the economy will leap ahead after Brexit (joke: they don't exist).

It's always been about immigration and ethnic nationalism really, and all the other stuff is just "a price worth paying".
Dec 2019
4:24pm, 13 Dec 2019
24,974 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I wonder if it will be so difficult for Johnson, May's problems came about because her Majority was so slim after calling an election, Johnson has walked it. She then picked a cabinet that represented all sides, which was never going to hang together, so the clues who will be appointed in his cabinet. He is going to have a lot weight for this win within the Parliamentary party, they will do what he tells them, look at JR-M's disappearance, there'll be more of that.
Dec 2019
4:28pm, 13 Dec 2019
6,163 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Stander - it's worth having a think about this.

If I or plenty of other posters think you're a [insert random item of confectionery here], that's one thing. But HG likes just about *everyone* -if you're annoying him, you're really pushing troll-ery to near-pro standard.

Now, if you like being a troll and pissing people off, fine - they're your log-ins. But if you think everyone's secretly impressed and admiring of your witty schemes, it might be time to take stock.
jda
Dec 2019
4:30pm, 13 Dec 2019
5,981 posts
  •  
jda
Yes we are now on the verge of achieving the notable goal of entering a phase of true vassalage where we are absolute 100% rule-takers, not even in the room when rules are discussed, no MEPs or Commissioner etc, and this lasts until we manage to negotiate and ratify some trade agreement, or drop out without any agreement in place. And no-one in the Govt has started to seriously discuss what sort of trading arrangements we might want or realistically expect.
Dec 2019
4:31pm, 13 Dec 2019
90 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
I don't have - and have never had - multiple logins.
I left this site for over a month and rejoined recently.

I did see other trollage, and chuckled inwardly when they were erroneously labelled as me, but I will not claim their work or any blame attached to their posts.
Dec 2019
4:32pm, 13 Dec 2019
15,609 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Oh yes the Tories are much more likely to deliver on this than Labour, now they've purged most of the most ardent Remainers. Labour still have divisions but have accidentally purged most of their Leavers now ironically (Skinner, Flint, Snell etc).

I'm not cross at Stander other than WHY COULDNT YOUR LOT HAVE DONE THIS IN 2017? (If you're about still Stander - be nice for your take on why didn't the 2019 result happen in 2017 - I'm not going to criticise, I've already stated why I think it might have happened but I'm not sure I'm right, I'm genuinely curious - I think May was a better leader than Johnson, and the two deals aren't that different)

Anyway if it had happened in 2017 we'd have been rid of Corbyn by 2 years, my bet winnings might have even covered a small holiday, but because I got stung last time, I didn't dare try the same this time (wouldn't have got the same odds anyway).

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.