Politics

5 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
3:42pm, 13 Dec 2019
68,229 posts
  •  
Gobi
I think this issomething many of you don't consider - local issues and local popularity, the reason the liberals are shit where I live is they all consider the Tory bloke to be quite sound.

It is obvious that a lot of things were Boris and Jezza but some people really did look closer to home. Now given that the Majority means Brexit should happen, for the remainers who voted Tory this could be a challenge but then again are we also forgetting that not every Tory is a leaver in the same way not every Labour MP is a remainer.

Is it possible even with a majority a lot of the same shit will carry on?
Dec 2019
3:45pm, 13 Dec 2019
84 posts
  •  
Stander
With 17 (?) of the 21 Tory dissenters no longer MP's, I think Boris has enough headroom even within his own party to be able to avoid all the bullshit that was happening before now.
Dec 2019
3:47pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,980 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
An interesting post I saw about "one of the reasons Labour lost". It is hard to convince Corbynites to move back towards the centre when their reply is along the lines of "Fuck off and join the Tories then".

I have a few Corbyn supporting friends and debate with them is impossible when any suggestion of reaching out to the centre ground has them screeching about Tony Blair and Centrists and Red Tories and all that shite. Once someone starts off down that track the debate - such as it is - is closed down immediately. If only they could nurture a preference for rational discourse rather than descending into foam-flecked abuse every time someone suggests an alternative approach. Ho hum.
Labour have pretty much been lost to me since Corbyn got in and I feel politically homeless at the moment. When they come to their senses I dare say I will return into the fold.
jda
Dec 2019
3:50pm, 13 Dec 2019
5,979 posts
  •  
jda
There is still absolutely no consensus amongst the tories about what the future brexit plan will actually mean (beyond the usual unicorn soundbites). Indeed their campaign strategy was quite deliberately silent on the matter. So how this plays out among the new set of MPs is anyone's guess. The chances of them all agreeing on a particular set of realistic compromises (in conjunction with the EU) is probably about as high as the chances were last time round with the withdrawal agreement.
Dec 2019
3:54pm, 13 Dec 2019
24,972 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Apart from the fact Johnson somehow or other brought them an 80 seat majority...all the new MPs will owe him. At least he will play it that way and they will feel that too...much like Blair back in the day. Anything that happens from now on is Johnson's. It is all his doing. That will be his strength and his weakness.
Dec 2019
4:00pm, 13 Dec 2019
68,230 posts
  •  
Gobi
In that case we should be out of the EU soon then Stander
Dec 2019
4:05pm, 13 Dec 2019
85 posts
  •  
Stander
Gobi - 31st January 2020 is certainly going to happen.
31st December 2020? No idea. Depends if the final deal can be hammered out in time or not.

As DV said many pages ago, I'd be surprised if it is. I expect some form of delay.

However, I would give anyone any odds, that the final deal will be done, dusted, enacted and the dust settling on it long before we get another general election.
jda
Dec 2019
4:08pm, 13 Dec 2019
5,980 posts
  •  
jda
We can either leave with no deal at the end of 2020, or negotiate a trade deal for however long that takes. Up to the tories to make that decision - Johnson has made an explicit promise to not extend, but we all know what his word is worth.

I think an extension beyond 2022 would be politically difficult from the EU side (it would go into their next budget cycle) which may limit what can be achieved in any case.
Dec 2019
4:08pm, 13 Dec 2019
6,162 posts
  •  
Dooogs
"As DV said many pages ago,"

Erm... is this some sort of identity crisis, or have you started talking about yourself in the third person regularly? ;)
Dec 2019
4:09pm, 13 Dec 2019
86 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Just a little joke there Dooogs.

Anyway, seeing as Christmas has come early, time for (another) name change.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.