Politics

9 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
4:34pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,983 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
If I could emigrate tomorrow I would. I hate the shitty, small-minded, self-destructive country that England has revealed itself to be. I don't feel proud about being English anymore. And before anyone has a go, I suggest they familiarise themselves with attitudinal studies of Leave voters. It doesn't make encouraging reading.

I hope the Brexiteers will front up and own the right wing shite they are unleashing on the country. That's what they wanted. No pretence anymore.
Dec 2019
4:38pm, 13 Dec 2019
91 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Chris - May was wrong to go for the vote in 2017. She saw her lead in the polls and gambled on using it to enlarge her small majority. She right royally fucked that one up.

I will acknowledge that faced with an almost impossible task, she was able at (mostly) able to keep the conservative party from tearing itself apart and with no majority and not being a Leaver herself, I think she did the best that she could.

However, I never ever thought that she would be the one to get this thing over the line.
Dec 2019
4:44pm, 13 Dec 2019
15,610 posts
  •  
Chrisull
You live in Stratford on Avon JB? (Just saw on your profile) My former hometown - yes that place is enough to make me feel like emigrating too (the attitudes not the place)!

Separately I almost finished reading Coe's Middle England this morning before work and I should have finished it before the election result because it kind of predicts in allegorical way what is going to happen now with the Labour party.

The sad thing is, while Corbyn was wrong with regards to anti-semitism and their shout it down approach rather than admit fault, but one reason we got to Corbyn in the first place (and why people such as myself backed him on the £3 ballot), was because Labour needed to get away from their "outflank the Tories on immigration from the right" tactics, and the rest of Corbyn's approach to EU citizens will be forgotten as one conclusion will be drawn is that Labour just weren't socially conservative enough on immigration. Sigh.
Dec 2019
4:49pm, 13 Dec 2019
24,976 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I've had my eye on reading that, worth it?
Dec 2019
4:51pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,984 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I bought that book the other day. Haven't started it yet.

Yes, I do live in Stratford upon Avon, where everyone tut-tuts about food banks and the homeless and then votes for the party which is doing all it can to increase the numbers of both.
Dec 2019
5:01pm, 13 Dec 2019
15,611 posts
  •  
Chrisull
WS - Hmm, I'll reserve judgement to the end, but it's not one of Coe's better books, it's too prosaic and the backdrop of the last 8 years of politics is too laboured and not insightful enough. And also the chopping between characters stories makes it hard to kind of get involved with them. It's like Benjamin is a minor character in his own trilogy. But readable and occasionally funny.
Dec 2019
5:04pm, 13 Dec 2019
22,943 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Stander. We've both been round these parts for a long time and I've seen you on various threads go for 'troll' status.

You respected my right to a different opinion early (as DV I think) because I'd expressed it in aanner that didn't purposely push buttons with you.

Maybe if you posted in a less antagonist manner you may not feel.as got at.

(This post may be pages from where we were when I started it as interrupted by a 30 mins phone call)
Dec 2019
5:06pm, 13 Dec 2019
31,776 posts
  •  
LindsD
I was just catching up but wanted to applaud Dooogs.
Dec 2019
5:10pm, 13 Dec 2019
103 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Genuinely sushi, you're wrong.

This new profile is the only one I've had except my original. It was initially Gamer", then "Daft Vader".

Anyone else would have been a poor impersonation of me.

But I can't prove that to you and I'm not even going to bother to try. You are, after all, entitled to your opinion.
Dec 2019
5:11pm, 13 Dec 2019
59,343 posts
  •  
swittle
Given that this article is a digest of the impact - or otherwise - of 'social media', it does put forward some possible conclusions as the dust starts to settle.

bbc.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.