Politics

28 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
4:22pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,546 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
The politicians I really feel largely do not truly listen to the voting public and as a result many feel disillusioned and it really can feel ever so pointless contributing to a process that is no longer fit for purpose.
People just not bothered used as a stick against the population is pretty flawed in itself.
Look at votes people seriously thought they could have an influence on.
Brexit and Scottish Independence referendum both had high turn out.
(72 and 84%)
Good to hear from you HG, and yes some fun adventures thanks.

The gas thing I was hoping would last longer for the £30 per 24 hours compensation to fund my next trip ;-)
Still struggling to get the love back but hoping to be at least able to jog faster next year and then see yourself and many other friends at running events.
Love to you and family for the festive period (and to all fetch people) :-)
Dec 2019
4:23pm, 10 Dec 2019
22,823 posts
  •  
Sushi.
That's unfortunate Nellers but maybe it would alter the way people vote and make actually voting more appealing to more people.
Dec 2019
4:24pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,547 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Many of us may not relate to or agree with the voting of those that vote for certain parties, but surely we a deserve an equal voice and should be represented and therefore feel involved.
No!?
um
Dec 2019
4:27pm, 10 Dec 2019
1,479 posts
  •  
um
+1 for spoiling a paper rather than not voting. At least that's registered as an objection, rather than apathy. And (I think) all candidates get to review it to agree it's spoilt, rather than a vote for them.

And that's one place I may excuse, or even encourage, obscenities as suggestions what the collective pool of candidates can do.

(as I'm another in the general pool of not being willing to support Boris or the current conservative mess of Brexit; not willing to support the current momentum/labour plans; and not really sure LDems, Green or Arthur Pendragon will help the country much.
Dec 2019
4:31pm, 10 Dec 2019
18,998 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The returning officer calls all the candidates together to agree whether or not the paper is spoilt.

If you return it blank, that's fine. However, drawing a cock-and-balls on it not only gets the message across, though, but also entertains the candidates and their agents at the end of what will have been a long and stressful day.
J2R
Dec 2019
4:32pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,427 posts
  •  
J2R
To be honest, I'm not too bothered about the specific policies of the Lib Dems or Labour, as there's no chance that either of them will form a government allowing them to enact those policies. What they are good for is as 'Not Conservative', helping achieve a hung parliament and thereby preventing a far right Conservative government which would push through a hard Brexit and do untold damage to the country. I'd be happy to vote for either of them with this in mind.
Dec 2019
4:35pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,548 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
DeeGee maybe we should get a #cocknballsyourballotpaper trending ;-)
J2R
Dec 2019
4:36pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,428 posts
  •  
J2R
I've seen one of those things going round on Facebook, encouraging everybody who is impatient with the Brexit process and who wants to make damned sure we leave ASAP to put their cross in both the Conservative Party and Brexit Party boxes, just to make sure! Very naughty, undemocratic and all - but very funny!
um
Dec 2019
4:40pm, 10 Dec 2019
1,480 posts
  •  
um
[Is there any chance a candidate called Richard, commonly known by a shorter name, could argue that was a vote for him ?]
[sorry, I'm probably beyond taking this election or the last or the next parliament seriously]
Dec 2019
4:40pm, 10 Dec 2019
35,457 posts
  •  
Nellers
HT, I actually do agree. It would be interesting to see how many of us would vote for more extreme parties if we thought they'd actually get positions with some power as a result rather than just doing it as a protest vote. Maybe in a PR system people would gravitate to more moderate candidate naturally to avoid giving someone like Farage a say in anything real (beyond Question Time, anyway.;-)).

Or maybe not. But it's certainly a better representation of the population's overall voting patterns and I'd be for it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.