Politics

27 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
3:16pm, 10 Dec 2019
68,206 posts
  •  
Gobi
Sushi - I wouldnt go and select none of the above though :-)
Dec 2019
3:17pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,544 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Why is the default to always assume folk just can't be bothered when they choose to not vote?
I would say this campaign has left me feeling there is not one single option on the ballot paper on Thursday I would wish to show any support for.
So ok I can spoil the ballot paper or have an extra cup of tea and not engage at all in a system and group of people that I find myself ever further from relating to.
Dec 2019
3:46pm, 10 Dec 2019
22,961 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Labour increased spending on the NHS by 6% a year. Tories by between 1.3 and 2.7 depending on which govt we are talking about. The parties are not all liars and they are not all the same. Labour believe in social responsibility, a welfare safety net and social justice. The Tories believe in the individual, low taxation and a small state. Inequality is a core element of Conservative thinking. They are not the same, and anyone who thinks they are really needs to get out a few politics textbooks.
Dec 2019
3:48pm, 10 Dec 2019
8,299 posts
  •  
simbil
Yep - they are all economic with the truth but the scale of lies from Bojo is like nothing we've seen in recent history.

Regarding not voting, completely understandable this time around particularly.

In a good democracy you might get to vote for someone who represents you.

In ours you get the option to vote for the person who misrepresents you the least.
Dec 2019
3:55pm, 10 Dec 2019
2,545 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
"In ours you get the option to vote for the person who misrepresents you the least."

I think this is a very common theme accross the nation sadly :-(
Dec 2019
3:57pm, 10 Dec 2019
15,560 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The none of the above option, could be given further legitimacy, if say it got first place, then it automatically triggered a further byelection - in effect voters saying this is crap, give us some better options.
Dec 2019
4:01pm, 10 Dec 2019
18,995 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The number of spoilt/blank papers are recorded.

I've never not put a ballot paper in a box.

I have, however, on several occasions, not cast a clear preference for a single candidate.

If abstainers don't turn up it's seen as tacit support for whatever everyone else wants, whereas, if folk who wish to abstain actively did so with a spoilt paper, then more questions might be asked of why the system doesn't work.

Or I'd like to think so anyway. To be fair, it probably won't make the blindest bit of difference.
Dec 2019
4:01pm, 10 Dec 2019
33,619 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
Hi HT. You and young Dv have been on some nice outings in Central Scotland recently. Hope to see you around some time. Sorry to hear about your gas being cut off woes. Must have been horrid. Colleague of mine in office here experienced it too.

As with any analysis, when the media summarises, the "did not votes" will cover a broad spectrum of reasons, from feeling disconnected, to no one representing views, to no point in a constituency with a big majority, to inability to get there, to not understanding enough and... one of them is, couldn't be bothered. But I agree, it's that last one that gets touted most often.

That's why having a ballot paper with:

None - no candidate or party here represents my views
None - the system means my vote will be pointless in this area
None - all politicians are crooks
None - I don't feel I've received enough information to make a choice

then all those could be added up and only those left would "couldn't be bothered or unable to get there" (though actually there's proxy / postal voting for those who can't get there, so it's sort of another type of couldn't be bothered.

Hmmm, we do need to find ways to encourage more people to express their view, I feel.

Got an ad in my Facebook for Brewdog's "A pint for a vote". Take a selfie at the polling station and bring it to a Brewdog pub for a free pint (includes alco free - Nanny State and Punk AF). :-) G
Dec 2019
4:14pm, 10 Dec 2019
22,822 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Proportional representation is what we really need.
Dec 2019
4:18pm, 10 Dec 2019
35,456 posts
  •  
Nellers
I do actually agree Sushi, although I did see some analysis of the 2017 (or maybe the 2015) vote that showed how much more of a voice that would have given UKIP back then, which is an unfortunate effect of that system.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.