Politics

13 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
11:04pm, 6 Dec 2019
591 posts
  •  
Scorge
aye, i know. deep down, i suspect c wouldn't happen either once they flog her a damehood.....
Dec 2019
11:58pm, 6 Dec 2019
9,274 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My vote just gone in the post. Went with head over heart and voted tactically.
Dec 2019
4:08am, 7 Dec 2019
3,659 posts
  •  
run free
JC has been demonised by the popular right-wing newspapers for so long, that people don't know why they hate him. The right-winged newspapers have spent more time reporting JC not attending remembrance day or watching the Queen's speech, for wearing a raincoat, not wearing a tie, he is a communist, he is a marxist, he is a terrorist sympathizer..... When asking people in my area why they have stated that, they will say because he is and he will increase our national debt!

A lot of people in my area refuse to see that Tories have reduced key public services like the police/NHS/fire service/education, have increased the national debt, that the lying Johnson has lied, and that the Tory policies are BS. I think my area are pretty mesmerised by BJ and will quote "He will get Brexit done" or "Project Fear" or "You're just a remoaner".

The Tories have done a great job for making the election about the fear of Corbyn getting in and Brexit.

I am an independent supporter and will vote tactically to get the Tories out. Though sadly don't think it will make much of a difference in my area.
Dec 2019
9:23am, 7 Dec 2019
15,548 posts
  •  
Chrisull
fozzy - is your tactical vote likely to make any difference?

I've been musing on the unnecessarily complicated tactical voting situation. Really it only matters in the marginals. I don't think there should be a 650 seat map and instructions for every seat (which there is). I know it's meant well, and frustration that leave will win the election when there exists a majority for remain, but c'est la vie.

The choices are unnecessarily contentious. It should be simple, if you are in one of these seats vote x, not y - and where it can be shown to clearly make a difference and where one side is clearly ahead of the other.

There are seats like Kensington which are held by the Tories, but the Lib Dems are now polling ahead, where it muddies the water, and both sides get aggrieved about voting for the other. "Why vote Lib Dem when we have a sitting mp? That wasn't projected by the polls last time? We might do it next time" vs "Why vote Labour when we're ahead in the polls and anti-semitism has clearly tarnished the Corbyn brand here?" degenerating into Yah boo sucks. This kind of seat should be ignored, because one site, says one thing and one site says another.

It has to be a clear, concise set of instructions and dialogue.

You live in one of these 80 marginals - Remain outweigh Leave by 5%, Labour came 2nd here last time, they're winning in the polls - vote tactically here, and attempt to swap your vote if you're not happy voting Labour with a Lib Dem in one of these X,Y and Z marginals. You don't live in one, vote for who you like. You're not happy with that, then sign up to an organisation like "Making Votes Matter" to pressure for change.

Tactical voting in a 3 way marginal is pointless, and muddies the water for the next elections. Simplicity and clear undeniable mandates to do this, are the only way forward.
You want rid of Iain Duncan Smith ? Vote Labour in Chingford. You want to oust the Tory in St Ives? Vote Lib Dem. You live elsewhere? Do what you like.
Dec 2019
9:34am, 7 Dec 2019
24,868 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
My problem with tactical voting is

1. you can end up voting for something you don't want.

2. they need to be very simple

so really, if you are in a seat where you don't like the incumbent, vote for the second place, that's it really. If you start doing anything else, unless you are in a seat with a three way split of voting, then it is a muddle. It's fairly simple, and yes, if you don't like how it is currently working ask for change.
Dec 2019
11:49am, 7 Dec 2019
16,915 posts
  •  
Chrisity
We have an interesting list of candidates. The lib dems are not standing, in a pact with current MP Anna Soubry, so the three realistic choices are Con, Soubry, Lab.
Last time:

Conservative Anna Soubry 25,983

Labour Greg Marshall 25,120
Theoretically Labour should get in, but i can see lots of voters switching to Soubry for remain or Con for Brexit and not Corbyn.
Dec 2019
11:55am, 7 Dec 2019
15,549 posts
  •  
Chrisull
What did the Lib Dems get last time?

JDA - you said recently the links I published didn't show that Labour was greener than the Greens, that's mainly because I couldn't find the one I remembered reading, which was where some of the environmental groups had ranked the parties, and found Labour equal or ahead of the Greens. But here's one now, from Friends of the Earth:

bbc.co.uk
Dec 2019
12:28pm, 7 Dec 2019
27,179 posts
  •  
macca 53
The four constituencies near me are:

Darlington (classic Lab/Con marginal). I think Lab hold
Sedgefield (old Labour stronghold, Blair’s old seat) Lab to hold with much reduced majority
Bishop Auckland (even stronger Labour stronghold historically). Unpopular, parachuted in, Blairite MP (almost completely absent from the constituency). Possible Con gain.
Hartlepool (Labour stronghold - remember Mandelson). BXP number one target with Tice standing. I think a (possibly narrow) Lab hold.

I still think (hope) we might get another hung parliament or a smallish Con majority of 15 or so.....
Dec 2019
12:46pm, 7 Dec 2019
15,640 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My daughter received 2 letters and a leaflet from the Lib Dems today. My son has 2 letters waiting for him, in the same envelopes as my daughters letters. They have been sent from different parts of the country (england). My wife and I received nothing.
Dec 2019
5:08pm, 7 Dec 2019
31,540 posts
  •  
LindsD
Only the voting age child in our house has received mail ifswim

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.