Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
9:18pm, 7 Dec 2019
6,104 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Neems - exactly. I'd love them to come around but I suspect I'd be reduced to inarticulate, breathless swearing... ;)
Dec 2019
9:43pm, 7 Dec 2019
9,936 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
For balance I'll also be swearing at the LibDems if they show up for not standing down! And I may swear at Labour for being such bad opposition. The only safe people will be the Greens :-)
Dec 2019
1:12pm, 8 Dec 2019
15,552 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Guildford has a clear 2nd place party (Lib Dems), and Labour are just not going to start winning the Surrey seats. Hence it's an obvious place to tactically vote.

While I haven't changed my prediction (Tory majority 30-50) a lot of the pollsters are bricking it, saying its:

a) largest number of undecided voters this late in an election
b) 80 - 90 seats, because of the above , can't be called with any confidence, if they go mainly Tory, it's Tory landslide, if they go mainly Labour/Lib Dem/SNP it's hung Parliament. If it's breaks roughly evenly it's a working Tory majority but not a huge one.

Things that could change it (and which are happening):

a) Lab leavers either voting Tory/BXP or sitting this one out - or in some cases voting Lab with peg on nose
b) Tory remainers believing Tory majority means they can safely cast a vote for a Lib Dem (remember these form a larger segment that Lab leavers)
c) Youth vote turning out in greater than their normal numbers (which is normally quite low)
d) Undecideds breaking markedly for either the Tories or Labour. It seems more of the undecideds were formerly Labour.
Dec 2019
1:19pm, 8 Dec 2019
15,553 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The Guardian do exactly what I asked. 50 seats to tactically vote in (80 or 90 would have been better).

If you're not in one of them, don't vote tactically, you're not going to make much difference (and probably just confuse future voting patterns - because the first place tactical voters look is the last set of election results, and how can you tell what to vote for this time if X amount of voters, voted for a party that wasn't there first affiliation?)

theguardian.com
Dec 2019
1:21pm, 8 Dec 2019
2,474 posts
  •  
OTannenbaumMike
My son and I have been examining my Father in Laws Mail on Sunday. The vitriole and bias against Corbyn and Labour is appalling in my view. I havent seen it that bad for a long time.
Dec 2019
1:27pm, 8 Dec 2019
15,554 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah the MOTS is always bad come elections. The two page character assassination of David and Ed Miliband's dad as a hated "Jew" and "Marxist" was particularly horrible in 2015. The same paper that gleefully trumpets accusations against Corbyn, and somehow doesn't see its own anti-semitism as worthy of mention. Labour has a problem with it, but so does wider society. And something does need to be done (not happy with John McDonnell's comments on it either).
Dec 2019
1:51pm, 8 Dec 2019
27,181 posts
  •  
macca 53
Exactly Chris - let alone May unveiling the statue to fanatical anti-Semite and Nazi supporter Nancy Astor

....and while we’re in rant mode how come anything the Labour Party receive from a leaked document has to have come from Russia (BAD PEOPLE!), while the Tories have been refusing to release the findings of a government inquiry into Russian influence and at the same time Russian oligarchs (GOOD PEOPLE?? Really??) have been funding the Tories to the tune of tens of millions of pounds.
Dec 2019
1:52pm, 8 Dec 2019
9,794 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Had an interesting conversation with my parents last night. They told me they were voting for Lib Dem’s as they didn’t trust Corbyn. My Dad was a coal miner and they have always voted Labour in a Labour stronghold, in 2017 the majority was down to 5k over Tories but that was as much to do with the locals being utterly pissed off with the dickhead that is John Mann.

When I lightly pressed them on Corbyn they were unable to tell me why they didn’t trust him, my Dad mentioned anti Semitism and I asked him what he knew about it, he immediately admitted that he knew nothing but just didn’t trust Corbyn. I didn’t press them because they are very good people but it’s indicative of the current portrayal of Corbyn and there will be millions like them, they don’t know why they don’t trust him but they don’t.

I did explain that in a marginal constituency like Bassetlaw where the Brexit Party will hoover up a fair few Labour votes that a vote for the Lib Dem’s is effectively a vote for the Tories and I explained the rationale.

I don’t know which way they will vote and they are not that politically engaged but they are a little more aware of the power of their vote than they were yesterday.
Dec 2019
2:23pm, 8 Dec 2019
3,386 posts
  •  
mr d
I'll be tactically voting Labour for the second election in a row.

The Labour MP is a remainer leaning former councillor (although the Ipswich Labour party sat on their hands during the referendum). His challenger a Cambridgeshire councillor, leaver and former Countryside Alliance staffer who is playing for the town's leave vote.

Corbyn is being assassinated by the right wing press, who are going easy on the terminal liar Johnson. However the Labour party has been at war with itself for about 15 years and it's not helping. Then there is the perceived confusion on their Brexit policy, versuses the Tories meaningless, but simple 'Let's get Brexit done' slogan.
Dec 2019
3:34pm, 8 Dec 2019
2,475 posts
  •  
OTannenbaumMike
Totally agree mr D. In effect, the best tory asset is Momentum in my view. The second best is Corbyns "confusing but not confusing" Brexit policy. I have been discussing with my local MP who although good has long been parroting the "its not confusing at all" line. So why is everyone confused.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.