Politics

18 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
7:17pm, 6 Dec 2019
15,545 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Ha TMW - yes I have changed although not that dramatically. The one thing is that pollsters agree there is not many votes difference between a Tory landslide and a hung Parliament, because of where the Labour leave vote is distributed.

It's not going to be a hung Parliament now. The actual figures and word in on the ground is that Labour's "red wall" is gonna be eaten away, as Labour 2017 voters do not like Corbyn. He is discredited and not liked. He got away with it before being "new" as Johnson is getting away with it now.

Johnson is not seen as a Tory, but a maverick a la Trump or Farage and that's why he will pick up more Labour votes than any Tory normally doesn't. Apparently the "lying" and "untrustworthyness" is part of his schtick, and that's factored in. People know what he's like but they don't care.

But yes it's over. Tory majority somewhere between 20-100, but I'd still say 30-50 is the most likely band. Seems like the SNP won't take that many from the Tories now either, 4 or 5 at best.
Dec 2019
7:18pm, 6 Dec 2019
15,546 posts
  •  
Chrisull
And the irony is , this election wasn't and isn't about Brexit. It's about Corbyn.
Dec 2019
7:44pm, 6 Dec 2019
22,952 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I still can't see why Johnson, with a large majority, would allow another Scottish referendum. The man is utterly unscrupulous so Scotland shouldn't expect any favours. Sturgeon was on the radio the other day and she said quite emphatically that she would not Ben going down the "Catalonia" route because it would lack legitimacy and hey, look what happened to the leaders in that one.

I think in general terms, assuming they do win the election by a country mile, the new government will be presiding over a divided country with a leader who is already damaged goods. I can't see things going well for them because essentially they are stuffed with dimwits, ideologues and chancers, but time will tell.
Dec 2019
8:15pm, 6 Dec 2019
2,390 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
With apologies for the language. This rather sums things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUWX6S8iYU
Dec 2019
8:50pm, 6 Dec 2019
15,547 posts
  •  
Chrisull
+1 JB
J2R
Dec 2019
9:53pm, 6 Dec 2019
2,421 posts
  •  
J2R
JB, unfortunately with everything turning to shit around them as forecast, the Government and right wing press will have no option but to further radicalize the people. Expect to see more and more hatred whipped up against the EU, Europe and Europeans.
Dec 2019
9:54pm, 6 Dec 2019
15,639 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
An interesting paragraph in a Times article:

'Key to this would be the one in four Scots (26 per cent) who voted Leave in the 2016 EU referendum saying that they will back the SNP next week. The findings signal that the nationalists are holding on to independence-backing Brexiteers despite running an avowedly pro-EU campaign.'

Its hurting my head to try and work this out. Scottish leave voters also support independence but the SNP are using the UK vote to leave as a change in circumstances that mean we should have a 2nd referendum.

I am not sure I agree with the 60/40 argument, even if it would mean the chances of Independence are close to zero right now. I might also be out of line in that I think the outcome of each referendum should be respected. In the case of Brexit though I would hope the deal secured is the best (least bad) available which I dont believe is the case right now.
Dec 2019
10:14pm, 6 Dec 2019
6,950 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Half watched the debate, it’s the first primary piece of observation I’ve made this election (mainly been following via the 2 Gs, Guido and Guardian).

Basically another score draw, no-one made a massive boo-boo and no one has changed their mind about either man. I do admire Boris’s ability to work in “get brexit done” into any answer.

Felt Corbyn should have hammered home the countries he wants the UK to emulate eg Scandinavia a bit more. Although as it’s been said many times before, we don’t want to pay the tax to get these services.

The issue is it’s too easy to say IRA, Hamas, national anthem etc in response, Corbyn has too many causes associated with him which limit his mass appeal.

Thankfully only 6 more days to go.
Dec 2019
10:51pm, 6 Dec 2019
588 posts
  •  
Scorge
the biggest cock up in all of this dates back to all of the cheap slogans from 2016 about quick and easy exits, when perhaps not too many of the electorate are aware of the nuances and complexity of international diplomacy, and how timeous it is. the tories are still playing off this utterly false premise.

anyway, for absolute scenes next thursday:

a) tories get achingly short on 320-322 seats

b) the DUP tell them to get stuffed
c) swinson, in a remarkable first of abiding by principles, doesn't sell herself out
d) sinn fein decide to turn up and piss on boris' chips.....
Dec 2019
10:59pm, 6 Dec 2019
6,952 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Well d ain’t gonna happen.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.