Politics

11 lurkers | 215 watchers
Oct 2019
9:12am, 3 Oct 2019
6,633 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I can understand Joris Bonson's approach - present something slightly different, make it out that UK has compromised and the evil EU *still* won't accept our proposal... Obviously political rather than practical.

As you say fozzy - I don't follow why Labour Leavers would play that game too. They know it won't be acceptable to the EU, so they've effectively just added a little weight to Johnson's portrayal of things. (unless it is solely self-preservation, which baffles me. Would they rather be in opposition for the next 5 years to a Johnson government, as long as they keep their seat?)
Oct 2019
9:21am, 3 Oct 2019
8,882 posts
  •  
larkim
Katya Adler seems a little more positive that the proposals might actually be almost acceptable to the EU.

If their red line is no customs posts on the island of Ireland, they have only Joris' offer or "no deal" (which will include customs posts, surely by definition) to choose between (unless you're cynical and expect the EU to be trying to box the UK into remaining). They may find that the deal is more appealing in that small regard.
Oct 2019
9:30am, 3 Oct 2019
8,193 posts
  •  
simbil
As Ireland has a veto, I doubt the proposal as it stands has much chance.
It’s better than no deal but not as good as an extension followed possibly by new red lines etc.
jda
Oct 2019
9:36am, 3 Oct 2019
5,355 posts
  •  
jda
Trying to see the "Labour leave" upside: maybe they think they can come over all reasonable and responsible by saying they agree to it, secure in the knowledge that someone else will take the hit for rejecting it. Mind you, that does require them to be intelligent, foresighted and somewhat devious and they rather give the impression of being spineless clueless patsies.
Oct 2019
10:17am, 3 Oct 2019
32,588 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think the Labour turncoats are playing to a perceived Leaver heartland and voting with their constituents rather than for the benefit of their constituents. Though that is inherently my arrogance in dismissing their Leaver constituents as just "wrong"!

It's touch and go. The EU will back Ireland to the hilt. But Ireland might say "this is better than no deal" and if they're going to leave some time anyway, that the delay of another 6 months or a year and uncertainty are also problematic and damaging. There is a risk/chance of an EU compromise here. Nooo, please don't prove Johnson and the Brexiteers right! :-) G
jda
Oct 2019
10:28am, 3 Oct 2019
5,359 posts
  •  
jda
I reckon the EU will play the stalling game cos they know Bonson has to ask for an extension on the 17th at which point the govt collapses and we have a Ge.
Oct 2019
11:04am, 3 Oct 2019
9,163 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This "deal" is actually worse for NI ane Eire than no deal.
Oct 2019
11:16am, 3 Oct 2019
24,199 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
A GE which the conservatives could will win, with a workable majority, and force through whatever they like.
jda
Oct 2019
11:20am, 3 Oct 2019
5,362 posts
  •  
jda
"Could" win, though it doesn't look likely at this point. And then the only thing they could force through (without EU agreement) is leaving without a deal, at which point....what exactly?
Oct 2019
11:24am, 3 Oct 2019
24,200 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I say could, you need to remember May, worst PM for quite a while, worst campaign I can remember, and she still won with a pretty big vote, Johnson is far more popular.

I think the conservatives will win, possibly comfortably off the back of 'Get Brexit Done' and pointing at the EU.

I have no idea what will happen with No Deal, don't ask me, ask Johnson and Cummins, so long as they say the 'won', like Trump, they won't give a fuck.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.