Politics

2 lurkers | 215 watchers
Oct 2019
1:29pm, 2 Oct 2019
4,815 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Think you were a bit tame there Chris - that was off the scale evil smugness on display in that clip, almost comedic, certainly puts Alan B'stard to shame

Seems to have forget how badly her party failed to control controllable immigration not so long ago with their daft total immigration target
Oct 2019
1:31pm, 2 Oct 2019
18,879 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It only our freedom of movement that's being curtailed in any meaningful fashion.

I've just come back from Berlin. What happened there is actually in the living memory of quite a lot of us. Sadly, too many people think the partition of Germany was "just punishment" for what they did in the war, and not actually part of a much wider ideological question.

Don't forget, that in the DDR, the official name of the wall was the "Anti-fascism protection wall" - i.e, designed to keep unwanted ideologies out, even though what it actually did was the complete opposite.

Curtailing freedom of movement only really keeps us in. Anything else is a bollocks suggestion put about by xenophobes.
Oct 2019
7:10pm, 2 Oct 2019
12,189 posts
  •  
richmac
I love the fact Patel wants to get rid of the sort of freedom that lead to her being where she is.

Or is that not the case ? i.e. would her parents have been able to settle her under the system she is advocating ?
Oct 2019
7:22pm, 2 Oct 2019
3,557 posts
  •  
run free
There is a border control in the UK. Everyone who enters the island via plane, train, ferry has to go through a border / customs control.

On the main continent, there are zero borders / customs to pass through. Once over in France, I simply cycled into Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and even moving from Italy to Switzerland and from Switzerland into France - the only customs control was on trucks. I did not show my passport at any point in time. It was amazing.

When I went over to France by train and came back over by ferry, had to show my passport twice (French and UK side).
Oct 2019
7:38pm, 2 Oct 2019
29,730 posts
  •  
LindsD
Not from Ireland.
Oct 2019
8:22pm, 2 Oct 2019
3,558 posts
  •  
run free
Agree LD - that is how a US friend managed to extend her 2 year VISA in the UK to 5 years :p
jda
Oct 2019
8:49pm, 2 Oct 2019
5,354 posts
  •  
jda
regarding Patel's parents, hard to be sure but it doesn't sound like they would have had a great points score - "established a chain of newsagents" according to wikipedia. Similarly for Javid's bus driving dad.

I'm tempted to say their presence in the country does actually lend support to the imposition of a more selective immigration system, but it's hard to blame their parents for their failings and I'm sure they could have been productive members of society in other fields of work.
Oct 2019
9:00pm, 2 Oct 2019
9,726 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
dilbert.com

Eerily close to reality!
Oct 2019
10:17pm, 2 Oct 2019
9,161 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
So, just been catching up on the new "offer" of a "compromise" from our "government" to the EU.

It's absolute bollocks. As per.

Never going to fly.

The best bit of the whole thing is that the DUP have basically been offered a bribe *and* a veto over the whole process. As the position is that if, at the end of the transition period the NI assembly doesn't agree (forget the fact for the moment that Stormont isn't actually sitting) then the border will revert to a hard border. Given the way power sharing works under the GFA, this basically is a veto to the DUP.

The UUP (also unionists btw) are *not* happy: uup.org

And apparently Johnson has said unless the EU agree he's not going even bother going to the EU meeting on 17th Oct.

WTAF?!

Brexiters, even you lot can't think any of this is a good idea???
Oct 2019
10:22pm, 2 Oct 2019
9,162 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Perhaps the most disturbing thing of all is that Kinnock and his merry band of idiots have apparently said that they'll vote for it if the EU agrees (which they won't).

Fuck me, they're complete morons.

I get the fact that they want to compromise and want to vote for a deal that "respects" the 2016 referendum, but you don't just vote for any old shite surely? I'm guessing a brain cell hasn't actually been engaged at any point in the process.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.