HappyG(rrr)
Good reminder Steve.
jda
Oct 2019
3:37pm, 3 Oct 2019
5,366 posts
  •  
jda
The real deadline isn't even the 31st, because the Benn Act comes into play if an agreement isn't in place by the 17th or 18th. At which point the shit hits the fan with whatever shenanigans Bonson has thought up. And parliament is supposedly prorogued for a week from the 8th and debating the queen's speech from the 14th onwards. So if it's not wrapped up by next Tuesday then it's pretty much over.
Oct 2019
3:47pm, 3 Oct 2019
29,744 posts
  •  
LindsD
Bernard Jenkin was on Today this morning (I think it was him) saying that we are leaving on 31st October come what may, which I took as a hint that BoJo has found some way around the Benn Act.
Oct 2019
4:00pm, 3 Oct 2019
15,326 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I saw an ERG twit getting interviewed this morning and what a lot of tosh he spoke. At one stage he said look this is a good deal. Then corrected himself and said actually it’s not a good deal but it’s one I can vote for.
Oct 2019
4:07pm, 3 Oct 2019
8,900 posts
  •  
larkim
I think they are continuing to reiterate that simply for presentation sake. If they get past the Benn deadline without having asked for an extension, they'll be mired in the courts or the Speaker will be granting MPs time to find a way to force the matter as an exceptional circumstance of some sort. No-one is under any doubt what the Benn Act was intended to do, so non-compliance by the govt will undoubtedly be dealt with very robustly I'd expect.

I think maybe they do really think that the EU is backed into a corner on the basis that they need to agree a deal of some sort, and the EU probably has some confidence that Bojo would crash us out if he gets the chance.
Oct 2019
7:37pm, 3 Oct 2019
4,816 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
A 2 stage vote looks crazy to me
- surely you need a defined leave for a binary vote against a defined and known remain, a major flaw of the last referrendum
- even if you have the 2 stages voting for the style of leave first, it could be rigged by remainers voting no deal to make remain more attractive in the next ballot
- a 2 stage ballot doesn't capture the wishes of someone who wants leave with a deal, but would rather stay than no deal

STV with all the options allows a genuine measure of the people's will. Politicians would have a ranked list so no confusion. Parliament may have to inform the public that certain options are imaginary or unobtainable if they come top, then try the next one and so on.

Some say STV is too complicated for the public - in which case why do you trust them to make a decision about something as infinitely more complicated as Brexit then
Oct 2019
7:52pm, 3 Oct 2019
2,317 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I have no idea what can happen now in the limited time left. It's all a game to the ERG.
jda
Oct 2019
8:21pm, 3 Oct 2019
5,368 posts
  •  
jda
Agree that STV/AV (it's actually AV since only one outcome wins) is the best approach with multiple options, but there isn't a cat in hell's chance of introducing this for a ref at this stage in the proceedings. Especially as there are only ever going to be at best two options (remain versus whatever deal is on the table).
Oct 2019
9:04pm, 3 Oct 2019
4,817 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
That makes sense jda, I remembered it as STV from student elections and there were usually more than one post - I even got first winner a couple of times :-O

I think it's the best solution, never thought it had a cat in hells chance in reality - imagine the Brexiteers agreeing to a "European" voting system.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.