parkrun thread

503 watchers
23 Oct
8:55am, 23 Oct 2024
10,677 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I have similar views about travelling. If we are away anyway I will look to see if there is a parkrun nearby but the only reason I remain so involved with it now is because I can walk to the start line in around 10 minutes from my door. There's a lot of 'local' ones as in around half an hours drive (I'm in a rural area) that I've never done and probably never will.
23 Oct
9:02am, 23 Oct 2024
7,593 posts
  •  
Snoot
Just been to one inaugural, Ford in Ulverston, as we were at the in-laws less than half a mile away, didn’t know about it until MiL pointed out an article in the local paper.

Always niggles why they called it Ford parkrun not Ford Park parkrun as the place it’s held is Ford Park?
23 Oct
9:13am, 23 Oct 2024
9,560 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I’ve not done any inaugurals but have done 2 test events. My kids did an inaugural junior event and my wife and I volunteered there.
23 Oct
9:31am, 23 Oct 2024
125 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
I don't really think it's the going to an inaugural itself that is a sin, I think it's when there has been a message to please wait. When my partner launched his event there were a handful of inaugural hunters who came and went with zero fuss. We didn't even notice. What made him angry were the people posting the launch date on social media despite direct requests not to.
23 Oct
9:31am, 23 Oct 2024
15,723 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Most of our non-local tourism is when we're away somewhere, or heading somewhere on a Saturday and passing a parkrun on the way. If there is a choice of events and one ticks off a letter we might choose it, but we haven't done any long distances specifically to tick the alphabet off.

Then there are several established events within cycling distance, which I don't really count as proper tourism. I did some inaugurals (plus a "Bespoke" parkrun which was a test event for Harrogate but set up as an official counting event) back in the day when they were encouraged/publicised but not for many years!
23 Oct
9:35am, 23 Oct 2024
11,478 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I was down to be timekeeper at Witney’s inaugural, but it was cancelled due to the Beast from the East!
23 Oct
9:59am, 23 Oct 2024
43,835 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
No idea how many inaugurals I have been to, but haven’t been to any since it has been discouraged.
23 Oct
10:11am, 23 Oct 2024
81,734 posts
  •  
Gobi
Been to a few back inaugurals when they were worried about non attendance so used to advertise, haven't been to any since they started keeping them a secret.

Still haven't attended my Nendy which is less than 5 miles away due to the fact my actual local is less than 4 miles away and I can run trails to get to it.

I don't travel just to do a parkrun but will take an opportunity if I travel
23 Oct
10:17am, 23 Oct 2024
31,177 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Don't worry Gobi, no-one's been to their NENDY :-)
23 Oct
10:19am, 23 Oct 2024
43,839 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
😂🤣

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com