Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
3 Aug
3:57pm, 3 Aug 2024
341 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
The responsibility of the IOC must be to conduct full sex determinant tests on the Algerian boxer. No mere assurances from the boxer, their team or the Algerian government, that the athlete is "female" can suffice. The credibility of the competition is at stake - not to mention other competitors' health.
3 Aug
3:58pm, 3 Aug 2024
34,109 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Thanks @Pothunter , don’t think we get that one
3 Aug
3:59pm, 3 Aug 2024
342 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Different topic: how strong is Remco Evenepoel ?! It looks like he's going to win again today.
3 Aug
4:05pm, 3 Aug 2024
2,820 posts
  •  
RooA
Diogenes wrote:Anyway, turned on the coverage and it was dressage so turned it straight back off again. Is there any more pointless non-sport than dressage?

Perhaps refer to the post you made immediately prior "I don't know enough to form an opinion"

Modern dressage is fucked up and a long way away from where it should be but declaring it "pointless" on the basis of knowing absolutely fuck all about it is sheer arseholery.

"I don't like to watch dressage because I don't understand it" is an opinion, and absolutely valid. "Dressage is pointless" is just an ignorant attack for no fucking reason.

I don't like to watch football, I find it boring as hell. Same for motorsports. Or golf. But I don't shoot my mouth off about them being "pointless", because I'm not arrogant enough to view my taste in things as the be all and end all of what other humans should enjoy or value. I just switch over or go do something else. It's not hard.
3 Aug
4:11pm, 3 Aug 2024
43,486 posts
  •  
Nellers
I don’t like dressage because they give the medals to the rider when the horse did all the work.😉
3 Aug
4:12pm, 3 Aug 2024
43,487 posts
  •  
Nellers
Remco is in a different race to the rest of them. He’s an incredible rider.
3 Aug
4:19pm, 3 Aug 2024
10,583 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Evenepoel seems to have got this. Madouas is in a good position but silver isn't safe yet. Could be a fantastic battle for bronze too.
3 Aug
4:22pm, 3 Aug 2024
27,386 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I really enjoyed the Dressage. It’s fascinating to watch. I know nothing about it, but it’s quite beautiful.
3 Aug
4:24pm, 3 Aug 2024
10,584 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Puncture for Evenepoel - drama!
3 Aug
4:26pm, 3 Aug 2024
15,156 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I bet the mechanic's life flashed before his eyes! :-o

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).