Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
3 Aug
4:30pm, 3 Aug 2024
2,821 posts
  •  
RooA
Nellers wrote:I don’t like dressage because they give the medals to the rider when the horse did all the work.😉

That might be true (actually no, closer to true but not true) if they actually used proper riding horses but just sitting still on those big warmbloods, with their crazy, hypermobile leg movements would pulverised most people's core muscles. And legs, and back, and shoulders. I'd pay good money to watch anyone who says "the horse does all the work" try it to be honest.

I'm faaaaar from thinking dressage as a sport is brilliant right now. There's a strong argument to take it out of the Olympics. There's a strong argument against it being competitive at all. But it's not "pointless" and it annoys me when people who know absolutely nothing about it start spouting off.

Honestly I'm so pissed off with the world of equestrian sports though that I can't be arsed to argue the corner further than what I've already said, I'm not interest in "defending" it really. But I'm coming from a position of understanding in that.

"Ugh dressage is pointless" is just ignorant twaddle.
3 Aug
4:32pm, 3 Aug 2024
15,157 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I'm glad the French rider held on for silver :-)
3 Aug
4:48pm, 3 Aug 2024
43,488 posts
  •  
Nellers
I totally get your point, @RooA , and there was a winky face in there because I know bloody well that if you sat me on the horse we wouldn't make it into the arena!

It's not for me, though, along with Golf and Gymnastics and fencing, but fair enough, it's a valid sport and it gets the medals, and some coverage. If it works for you enjoy it. I'll follow Dio, though, and switch to a different channel. Plenty of options, at least if you have Discovery there is.
3 Aug
5:00pm, 3 Aug 2024
28,168 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Not for me either.

It’s too close to animals performing in the circus for me, I won’t watch it.
3 Aug
5:09pm, 3 Aug 2024
87,389 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Okay, maybe no more pointless than any other sport, I’ll allow that, but the credentials of an event that involves animals performing unnatural activities where the result depends upon subjective judging is very dubious, in my opinion. I’d be happier to watch dog agility in the Olympics. As some of you have pointed out, this is just my opinion.

But I’m still struggling to think of any other event less interesting to watch for the non-enthusiast.
3 Aug
5:14pm, 3 Aug 2024
43,490 posts
  •  
Nellers
I’d vote for dog agility as an Olympic sport replacing dressage.
3 Aug
5:21pm, 3 Aug 2024
17,313 posts
  •  
Badger
Huh. I watched it for a minute and thought “not really my thing but imagine how much skill and training it must take to get the horse to learn and run through all those moves.”
3 Aug
5:26pm, 3 Aug 2024
43,491 posts
  •  
Nellers
When I see bathroom tiling being done I think about how much practice and patience it must have taken to be really good at that, @Badger , but I wouldn’t want it in my telly.😉
3 Aug
5:29pm, 3 Aug 2024
9,252 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Competitive tiling FTW ;-)
3 Aug
5:52pm, 3 Aug 2024
28,169 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Hmmm, movements are too unnatural for a horse, I always wondered how they got them to do these things even before the recent controversy - what 'skill and training' actually involves.

There's a bit of 'look how I've mastered this wild animal, I can make it do what I want' about it. I guess in times where training horses was necessary as we didn't have the internal combustion engine it sort of makes sense, but not now.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).