Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
3 Aug
2:36pm, 3 Aug 2024
87,386 posts
  •  
Diogenes
MsG wrote:Transgender is not the same as a DSD.

I know, that’s my point.

As for your question, I don’t really know enough to form an opinion.
3 Aug
2:37pm, 3 Aug 2024
87,387 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Anyway, turned on the coverage and it was dressage so turned it straight back off again. Is there any more pointless non-sport than dressage?
3 Aug
2:42pm, 3 Aug 2024
6,064 posts
  •  
paulcook
Unfortunately, in fact that’s not a strong enough word, that was IOC’s mistake.

Yesterday it said it was not a DSD case. Today it corrected/changed its press release and said it’s not a transgender case.

Quite the correction.
3 Aug
2:44pm, 3 Aug 2024
2,615 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
This from biology and gender researcher Grace Huckins frames the question and problem quite well

scientificamerican.com
3 Aug
2:55pm, 3 Aug 2024
339 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
The height argument like in basketball is a false argument.
We don't use height to create different categories.

We do use biological sex to create two separate categories.
3 Aug
3:08pm, 3 Aug 2024
10,551 posts
  •  
GordonG
love the fact that in the men's floor routine, some of them still do roly-polies!!
3 Aug
3:20pm, 3 Aug 2024
6,065 posts
  •  
paulcook
Some context here about why intersex, hormones are far more important to development than other genetic factors like height in basketball for example quoted above

x.com
3 Aug
3:21pm, 3 Aug 2024
340 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
"Diogenes - in general would you agree that someone who has XY chromosomes but a developmental disorder that means they have some female appearing characteristics is still male?"

I have studied anatomy, embryology, endocrinology and the like. I learned about variations like 5alfa reductase deficiency (what Caster Semenya has and probably these two boxers).

People with 5ARD have an enzyme deficiency that renders them unable to convert testosterone to dihydrotesterone (DHT). DHT is necessary to form male external genitalia. Testosterone will start a male puberty giving these persons a male built and male muscle development.

In conclusion 5ARD is a disorder of male sexual development causing the external genitalia to appear female, even though these people have internal testes that produces testosterone in the normale male range.

Personal well-educated opinion: affected persons have had the advantage of a male puberty. When it comes to choosing a biological category for sports purposes it is clear that affected persons belong in the male category.
3 Aug
3:37pm, 3 Aug 2024
34,107 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I can’t find any coverage of the kayak cross - wish they would show it as it looks quite exciting!
3 Aug
3:48pm, 3 Aug 2024
9,250 posts
  •  
Pothunter
It’s on Discovery+ @HellsBells

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).