Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
3 Aug
6:07pm, 3 Aug 2024
2,822 posts
  •  
RooA
Modern dressage is too much of a shit show for me to bother trying to explain why dressage isnt what you think it is, when done properly. So I'll leave you to enjoy your ignorant but understandable opinions.

Classical dressage is neither pointless nor unnatural nor motivated by bullish dominance of the animal.

I reacted to Dio's first comment cos "dressage is pointless" is an incorrect statement from my, informed, perspective thinking about how I and people I actually admire work with their horses. But I forget that all people know about it is hypermobile warmbloods and the kind of work produced by competitive people taking shortcuts.

🤷‍♀️

Dog agility and dog training is hardly a bastion of animal welfare either by the way. Humans are shit across the board.

Classical dressage done properly would be even more boring to watch for the uninformed by the way so even if Olympic dressage was as it should be you'd probably all still denigrate it. 🤷‍♀️
3 Aug
6:12pm, 3 Aug 2024
4,754 posts
  •  
Curly45
We have arrived in Lille, Basketball tomorrow. Loving the French TV coverage of Teddy and team in the judo 😍
3 Aug
7:05pm, 3 Aug 2024
10,585 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Asher-Smith and Lansiquot both fifth and out in the 100m semis. All down to Neita to give us some representation in the final.
3 Aug
8:04pm, 3 Aug 2024
15,159 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Oh wow - Femke Bol!!! So happy after what happened last year that she and the rest of her team got gold. And bronze for GB :-)
3 Aug
8:10pm, 3 Aug 2024
16 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Team GB looked a lot happier with their bronze than USA did with silver.
3 Aug
8:28pm, 3 Aug 2024
43,493 posts
  •  
Nellers
First ever medal for Saint Lucia and it’s a gold in a big flashy huge event! Fantastic runs from Julien Alfred in the women’s 100m!
3 Aug
8:43pm, 3 Aug 2024
15,160 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I love it when smaller nations get their first medals :-)
3 Aug
8:59pm, 3 Aug 2024
15,163 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Norway takes the Decathlon! It was heart-warming that the 2nd Norwegian carried on even after getting no points from the pole vault and paced his team mate in the 1500m :-)
3 Aug
9:01pm, 3 Aug 2024
10,586 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Femke Bol is in a different class. We all knew that she would catch two of the teams but it was incredible that she got past the USA as well. If it wasn't for the relays, I wonder if she'd be tempted into both the 400m and 400m hurdles - schedule permitting.
SPR
4 Aug
12:01am, 4 Aug 2024
45,499 posts
  •  
SPR
I think it's clear the IOC rules are not fit for purpose. Not clear on the full IBA regulations but their website suggests they go for XX/ XY with no comment on androgen sensitivity.

I think the Magness thread linked earlier is good as it covers most of the points as is the Science of Sport podcast.

Note the World Athletics regulations for the female category require athletes with relevant DSDs that have sufficient androgen sensitivity for that testosterone (above 2.5 nmol/L) to have a material androgenising effect to reduce testosterone levels to below 2.5 nmol/L. Those that have complete androgen insensitivity syndrome are not covered by the rules and for those that are partially androgen insensitivity syndrome it's about whether the effect is material.

You can get to the WA regulations via links in the summary on this page: worldathletics.org

Direct link to the regulations which opens a PDF: worldathletics.org

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).