Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
3 Aug
10:06am, 3 Aug 2024
10,548 posts
  •  
GordonG
Well done in the rowing, another bronze.
3 Aug
10:08am, 3 Aug 2024
10,549 posts
  •  
GordonG
That finish for the cycling later today under the Eiffel Tower looks pretty special. It would take me a week just to cycle the route, never mind race it in one day!
3 Aug
10:09am, 3 Aug 2024
43,483 posts
  •  
Nellers
Nope. THe Algerian athlete is a female with a DSD which causes some characteristics that are generally considered male. She is female by any honest definition.
3 Aug
10:09am, 3 Aug 2024
15,151 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I agree with a lot of what you've said but I hate the way this has happened as she has been boxing in women's competitions for years without issue. There have to be formal processes worked through to deal with these cases which are a tiny minority. Athletics has had to show event by event that higher testosterone is an advantage which is why we've seen DSD athletes move distances. I'm sure it's frustrating for everyone involved but long-term it's the fairest way.

No idea how boxing deals with this, presumably she has had her testosterone levels checked?
3 Aug
10:18am, 3 Aug 2024
87,379 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That men’s 8 sent shivers down my spine
3 Aug
10:19am, 3 Aug 2024
15,153 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Oh no, I missed it :-(

Had the cycling on the other channel on.
3 Aug
10:20am, 3 Aug 2024
6,059 posts
  •  
paulcook
Depending what you read and where, the tests the two boxers are alleged to have failed have been discredited and were only initially ratified by two corrupt officials. Hence part of the reason why the IOC no longer recognises IBA and has led to boxing being the only sport that doesn't have its own eligibility rules.

Boxing is a mess. And the pile on against these two boxers is abhorrent and - at least for now - unfair.

It's boxing's mess. Not the two boxers'. Nor for that matter, and of the rest of the boxers.
3 Aug
10:23am, 3 Aug 2024
87,380 posts
  •  
Diogenes
@Charlesvdw You are wrong, she is a biological female. Continuing to spread the misinformation that she is biologically male is not just unhelpful but offensive to her and adds to the hate directed towards genuine trans people.
3 Aug
10:29am, 3 Aug 2024
15,155 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
On a less serious note what are the odds that the breakaway survives for 200+ km? ;-)
3 Aug
10:48am, 3 Aug 2024
43,484 posts
  •  
Nellers
Somewhere south of zero, LN.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).