Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
2 Aug
9:01pm, 2 Aug 2024
6,051 posts
  •  
paulcook
jda wrote:With ref to the currently controversial boxers, it may be worth noting that both of them apparently competed without incident in the last olympics (and generally in competition up to 2023).

The Italian fighter has apologised for her reaction after the fight was over and said she should have respected the IOC decision to allow her to fight. On the other hands, the Hungarian Association (Khelif fights a Hungarian next) has protested about her right to fight. Whole thing is a complete mess.
2 Aug
9:29pm, 2 Aug 2024
50,599 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
NDWDave wrote:HappyG(rrr) wrote:Did anyone watch the women's sailing 49er (skiff) final? Fab to watch, but controversy as two boats went through the wrong finish line! Might post this on sailing thread, as it's a bit niche! G Didn’t see that. I watch a bit of sailing. Got into Sail GP and Americas cup as my old company were a sponsor. That sounds very odd though - how can there be multiple finish lines??

No, just one finish line. But 1 and 2 mistook the referee boat for finish line, stopped 100m short, then realised and had to recover to 4th. But still had enough points for gold, revealed 30 s later to much joy. Those boats are soo fast, 25mph with your bum skimming along the water and trying to control boat and sail trim and choose right line. Incredible. :-) G
2 Aug
9:54pm, 2 Aug 2024
12,718 posts
  •  
lammo
Love the athletics pundit team, but why does Michael Johnson work for the BBC?

Wouldn’t one of the American networks pay him a ton of money?
2 Aug
9:55pm, 2 Aug 2024
9,246 posts
  •  
Pothunter
There’s a really good balance and obviously a tremendous depth of knowledge
2 Aug
10:05pm, 2 Aug 2024
43,649 posts
  •  
Ness
Interesting point, lammo. Not sure but I do like his input. Noticed that over time he seems to have modified his pronunciation of some words for his UK audience.
2 Aug
10:06pm, 2 Aug 2024
22,827 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
lammo wrote:Love the athletics pundit team, but why does Michael Johnson work for the BBC? Wouldn’t one of the American networks pay him a ton of money?

He doesn't rate the US coverage (NBC?) as they only do highlights and only where the US athletes are in the mix at the pointy end.
2 Aug
10:18pm, 2 Aug 2024
10,580 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Only just switched on as I've been in the office all day.

Really disappointed for Beth Shriever. Absolutely flawless in the heats but it didn't happen in the final. A deserved gold medal but that's sport for you.

Glad to see France beat Argentina in the football. That must have eased a lot of anger.
2 Aug
10:24pm, 2 Aug 2024
50,600 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
France 1-2-3 in BMX men was pretty amazing.

GB are doing amazingly well. :-) G
2 Aug
11:03pm, 2 Aug 2024
9,247 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Best first week ever in terms of golds and total medals won at the same point. Hope we can keep it up!
3 Aug
12:37am, 3 Aug 2024
4,347 posts
  •  
Cheg
They like those graphs at this stage at Tokyo we had x medals. It doesn’t really matter. It’s where your best scoring events fall I the programme. I still we could get 65-70 medals at a push. 45 of my 80 initial medal hopes are still in play.

simonssportingblog.wordpress.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).