Olympics Paris 2024

2 lurkers | 46 watchers
9 Aug
8:35am, 9 Aug 2024
9,285 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I think the differentiating factor would be race craft. I know very little about sailing but there seems to be a tremendous level of tactics required (over and above the technical skills of pointing the boat in the right direction and getting your tacks right).
9 Aug
8:46am, 9 Aug 2024
8,646 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
There was a heptathlon some years ago where KJT didn't register a jump in the long jump. That sort of thing concerns me (in general not specifically her). In this competition one athlete didn't get a high jump score.
9 Aug
9:14am, 9 Aug 2024
50,656 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sailing is very technical, but at the top level, in the bigger craft also requires agility and strength. That's why it's a sport, but golf isn't (ducks for cover! ;-) )

I've been sailing on and off, to Scottish Universities level and local club racing, since I was a kid (40 plus years) and that experience tells me I could never be an Olympian. I often think anyone who says "I could be that good" just means they haven't done it or experienced it, so really just ignorance (not to say arrogance!) (Not accusing anyone here of that, to be clear!!)

Olympics is weird but wonderful - sailing, bouldering, break dancing... ! :-) G
jda
9 Aug
9:20am, 9 Aug 2024
17,614 posts
  •  
jda
Curling is also something I quite fancy. Of course I wouldn't have the skill and precision to be really good, but it's a fun sport easily enjoyed by people of all ages. My dad played up to a ripe old age (not at any great level).

You do need a local ice rink set up for it, however, which pretty much rules out anyone living in England! Maybe I should get down to the bowling green, but that's only Commonwealth games isn't it?
9 Aug
9:36am, 9 Aug 2024
3,846 posts
  •  
Big_G
There’s an archery club near me and OH and I are going to do a 4 week taster course, as we fancy it, and it looks pretty easy right? However, I probably won’t be in Team GB in 4 years time, and I suspect she won’t be in Team NL either.
9 Aug
9:38am, 9 Aug 2024
30,958 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I think the skates would cut up the turf @jda
9 Aug
9:40am, 9 Aug 2024
15,217 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Oof! Nervy moments for KJT but she manages an OK jump in the end.

I'm intrigued by the French heptathlete who appears to have feathery wings in her hair! :-)
9 Aug
9:45am, 9 Aug 2024
6,144 posts
  •  
paulcook
Big_G wrote:There’s an archery club near me and OH and I are going to do a 4 week taster course, as we fancy it, and it looks pretty easy right? However, I probably won’t be in Team GB in 4 years time, and I suspect she won’t be in Team NL either.

I love the fact that when the camera pans out the archery target may as well be in a different venue to the archers themselves.

There's a group who practice down the road from me and it's only 10m or so; clearly archery gets harder pretty quickly.
9 Aug
10:00am, 9 Aug 2024
9,545 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
The one-dart, er, dartoff between the US bloke and the Korean guy was one of the best things I've seen at this Olympics. 2 sets all, every score was 10 in the deciding set, then they both got 10s in the dartoff and it came down to a 5mm diff. The only drama they missed was having someone go and measure the 5mm before revealing it.
9 Aug
10:00am, 9 Aug 2024
9,546 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
They're arrow actually, aren't they? Arrowoff.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).