Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
8 Aug
10:19pm, 8 Aug 2024
6,137 posts
  •  
paulcook
Jamaica are all about sprinting. Their current performance is on a par with every single Olympics until 2000. They've done amazing since then but of the 21 golds across all sport since then, 20 have been 200m at most, the other one was 400m. And 14 of those 21, involved at least one of Usain Bolt, Shelley Ann Fraser-Pryce or Elaine Thompson.
SPR
8 Aug
10:34pm, 8 Aug 2024
45,594 posts
  •  
SPR
@paulcook you might want to check the medals this year. 4 of 6 are from field.
8 Aug
10:38pm, 8 Aug 2024
6,139 posts
  •  
paulcook
Knew someone would post that!!!

I was more pointing to the fact their position in the tables over the last 5 games has been brilliant, but overwhelmingly elevated thanks to sprinting and those 3 athletes in particular. To continue that record, with only one of them left (and not fully fit) was always going to be a very difficult job.
SPR
8 Aug
10:38pm, 8 Aug 2024
45,595 posts
  •  
SPR
Think I misread your post, presume you're saying there's a drop of related to sprints.

It's a shame SAFP and Jackson have had injury issues. SAFP was running well enough to medal and Jackson would have been a contender for the win in both on last year's form. Thompson just can't get fit the last couple of years.
8 Aug
10:44pm, 8 Aug 2024
6,140 posts
  •  
paulcook
Shelley-Ann Frasey-Pryce must have strong claims to be the greatest sprinter of all time. A 14-year gap between her first and last World Championship medal must be a record among sprinters?
SPR
8 Aug
10:50pm, 8 Aug 2024
45,596 posts
  •  
SPR
Absolute legend of the sport and hope she's fit enough to get a proper send off in the relays.
8 Aug
10:51pm, 8 Aug 2024
50,653 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry don't agree with the comments on Covid being a trivial illness like a cold. Having known a number of people, including Fetchies and fit runners, who have had serious long term ill health from Covid, I don't think it should be made light of. However, not the place to debate it, I guess.

Glad Muir got through in 1500m but not sure she can do much in a very strong field? :-) G
8 Aug
10:57pm, 8 Aug 2024
6,141 posts
  •  
paulcook
Covid seems to impact different people in very different ways. But particularly long Covid among sportsmen and women will be of particular concern.
SPR
8 Aug
11:15pm, 8 Aug 2024
45,597 posts
  •  
SPR
No one said it's trivial, but flu isn't trivial either in some cases. The fact remains there are no special protocols for it anymore and athletes will decide whether they can compete depending on how it affects them.
8 Aug
11:30pm, 8 Aug 2024
20,174 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Going back to sports that one of us (maybe a few years back!) might qualify in, I'd have to think something with a lot of learning rather than physiology, expensive equipment to thin down the potential participants, and at least one teammate. Sailing maybe?

An ex colleague discovered shooting in middle age, nearly made the Commonwealth Games, and is now involved in coaching and administration at a high level.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).