Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
8 Aug
11:39pm, 8 Aug 2024
9,284 posts
  •  
Pothunter
If both KJT and Thiem match their PBs for the remaining 3 events then Thiem will win by 77 points so plenty of work for KJT to do. Don’t know what their more recent form suggests though. KJT marginally stronger long jump, Thiem much stronger javelin, and KJT about 6 secs quicker over the 800.
8 Aug
11:46pm, 8 Aug 2024
6,142 posts
  •  
paulcook
When I was discussing it at home earlier this evening, sailing was nearly the only sport I didn't immediately rule out. Not sure that was as much about my complete lack of knowledge of any requirements of the sport rather than thinking it would be possible.
8 Aug
11:57pm, 8 Aug 2024
4,375 posts
  •  
Cheg
Yeah I think KJT misses out on gold. Needs a monster long jump, a small javelin PB and near PB 800m.

Then on the Thiem side the javelin is just going to kill it. 3 no jumps in the long jump would do it.

But realistically she needs a poor long jump, middling javelin and to fold a little under pressure in the 800m.
SPR
9 Aug
12:08am, 9 Aug 2024
45,598 posts
  •  
SPR
Thiam's third day on paper is so strong and the javelin is a killer. All KJT can do is hit the best marks she can (I wouldn't expect PB LJ but we can hope given the HJ was better than it's been for a while) and see where that leaves her.
jda
9 Aug
6:45am, 9 Aug 2024
17,611 posts
  •  
jda
In some cases I think high level sailing requires large amounts of power and fitness. It’s something that top class rowers have moved into. It may not be all boats though. I know it often looks like they are just sitting there enjoying the ride but there are periods of frenetic activity.
jda
9 Aug
6:46am, 9 Aug 2024
17,612 posts
  •  
jda
Realistically KJT shouldn’t get gold but it’s great to see her appearing to enjoy herself and surely a medal if she doesn’t break down.
9 Aug
7:54am, 9 Aug 2024
4,769 posts
  •  
Curly45
In the stadium this morning again. Very close to the action today 😍 exciting for the Hept, bet we end up sitting next to some Belgians today 😂
9 Aug
8:10am, 9 Aug 2024
19,879 posts
  •  
NDWDave
57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote:Going back to sports that one of us (maybe a few years back!) might qualify in, I'd have to think something with a lot of learning rather than physiology, expensive equipment to thin down the potential participants, and at least one teammate. Sailing maybe? An ex colleague discovered shooting in middle age, nearly made the Commonwealth Games, and is now involved in coaching and administration at a high level.

And ideally gain citizenship from a landlocked country? Central African Republic, Chad or Kyrgyzstan?
9 Aug
8:13am, 9 Aug 2024
20,176 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
jda wrote:In some cases I think high level sailing requires large amounts of power and fitness. It’s something that top class rowers have moved into. It may not be all boats though. I know it often looks like they are just sitting there enjoying the ride but there are periods of frenetic activity.
I have done some low level dingy racing (doing exactly what I was told when I was told it!) and it is energetic, frenetic and a lot of fun (at times). But while rowers now need to be unusually tall, those of us who are naturally fairly fit and athletic could crew a sailing craft.

I always fancied myself as good at shooting. Then I went clay pigeon shooting with a fairly elderly, ex-RAF acquaintance with one eye. Who was far better than me at it.
9 Aug
8:25am, 9 Aug 2024
6,143 posts
  •  
paulcook
jda wrote:In some cases I think high level sailing requires large amounts of power and fitness. It’s something that top class rowers have moved into. It may not be all boats though. I know it often looks like they are just sitting there enjoying the ride but there are periods of frenetic activity.

"Power"

I wondered that. Rules me out!

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).