NEW - 2024 Adriene's 30 Day Yoga Journey

54 watchers
Jan 2023
7:30am, 6 Jan 2023
221 posts
  •  
Pam runs
Day5 done. Lots of waffle and self hugging today. I wasn't keen on today's. Seemed longer too.
Jan 2023
8:06am, 6 Jan 2023
28 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Hello :)

Day 5 done early-doors this morning. Also days 1 through 4 done on the appropriate days, but joining the thread now as it looks like I'll actually persevere with this. That didn't seem likely after the first couple of days.....

The whole plank/knees to elbows/side twist section was pretty hard today, but also felt like exactly what my body needs. I'm hideously inflexible, and nothing like as strong as I thought I was to offset that.

But I am already seeing improvements - day 1 I couldn't sit up with my legs crossed, it felt like my hips/tighs were on fire after ten seconds. Today it was almost comfortable. I've been doing each session twice, morning and evening. As I don't know any of the terminology I can't just follow along to the voice, so morning session is as much about learning what the movements are so that I can do the evening practice without having to constantly look at a screen.

Also, our 3 dogs don't just lie down quietly in the corner during the practice, they seem to want to take a much more active role :)
Jan 2023
8:10am, 6 Jan 2023
52,233 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I have found when attempting this in previous years Slowboy that I've had the same experience: seeing an increase in flexibility in the first week. I've just never seen it through to the end of the 30 days, nor beyond that. I'm hoping the accountability of this thread will help me a bit.

I'm starting to think her dog is stuffed/animatronic ;-)
Jan 2023
8:12am, 6 Jan 2023
38,840 posts
  •  
halfpint
Welcome slowboy. It’s amazing the difference regular practice can make. Glad you’re feeling more inclined to stick with it. I’m sure there has been speculation in previous years that Benji is sedated for the filming :) Mine used to have his own yoga mat (blanket) which he eventually learned to go lie on. He still gets excited when I hit the mat but usually takes himself off after a minute or 2.
Jan 2023
8:13am, 6 Jan 2023
3,326 posts
  •  
panad
Day 5 done ✅

Exactly the same thoughts here pam!
More than 5 mins of witter and a hug to start….
The middle section was wrist heavy. I didn’t enjoy this one at all. - I do like a yogi squat though ;-)
And a nice reminder of what's to come tomorrow with day 6 at the end 😜
Jan 2023
8:20am, 6 Jan 2023
3,327 posts
  •  
panad
Slowboy

Have you tried sitting on something - a block (doesn’t need to be yoga specific a book could work) or a cushion - at the beginning of the practice even if you don’t need later on? We all have different bodies and therefore might need adjustments in some poses - blocks/cushions of some form are also very useful for bringing the ground closer and a cushion or blanket for providing extra padding for the knees etc.

And as for animals - one of our cats has been known to come and sit on me in certain poses and generally get in the way between my legs/under me in planks etc I try to shut her out of the room if possible now!
Jan 2023
8:37am, 6 Jan 2023
29 posts
  •  
Slowboy
panad I did sit on a cushion for the first couple of sessions, but happily don't seem to need it now.

The forward stretches see me having waaaay more bend in my knees though, and still not getting my head anywhere near my knees. My hamstrings (and frankly all my leg muscles) are like short lengths of knotty rope.

But then I've been saying that for literally - years - without actually doing anything about it, other than occasional bouts of half-hearted stretching which probably do more harm than good.
Jan 2023
9:18am, 6 Jan 2023
298 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
Joining in properly now, for some accountability. I think the chat here will help motivate me back to the mat. I started a day late, and on work days need to do my standard back/physio/hip exercises before work, so yoga in the evenings. Enjoyed day 3 last night. Will make sure I'm wearing tights if trees are involved in day 4. Hoping to do all 30 days. So far its feeling good to do yoga again. Her sessions seem to be structured differently this year.
Jan 2023
9:40am, 6 Jan 2023
59,133 posts
  •  
LindsD
I like the structure this year better and also the regular sequence of plank/dog/forward fold. Day 4 done. Not sure I'll manage a double day to catch up any time soon, but am happy to be a day behind.
Jan 2023
10:01am, 6 Jan 2023
18,898 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I don't mind a slow start and I think there has to be a degree of 'witter' otherwise you'd think the internet was down ;) I thought today was quite tough for beginners, but I enjoyed it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bintmcskint
Who's in?

Adriene's 2024 30 day "yoga journey" is called Flow
Join us for the very best start to your yoga year :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.