NEW - 2024 Adriene's 30 Day Yoga Journey

54 watchers
Jan 2023
2:54pm, 3 Jan 2023
15,632 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Day 2 done, nice and easy, quite enjoyed it.
Noticed both today and yesterday that I am yawning excessively - wondered if I was forgetting to breathe at times?!
Jan 2023
2:58pm, 3 Jan 2023
14,944 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I think one thing that has helped me was realising that it's not *just* a lack of flexibility that stops me getting into some poses/doing smooth transitions. The relative length of your legs, arms and body will also impact on how far you can reach/stretch in some directions, and isn't something you can change easily.

Practice hasn't made me significantly more flexible (I'm sure it's had some impact - just not huge) but it has helped me realise when using blocks makes the pose more suitable for me. The other thing regular practice has done is tuned me in better to what I need to be doing - often I'll be e.g. moving my shoulders around or closing my eyes before she tells me to do exactly that - and not because I know what's coming next, more because I get into a position and "feel" what I need to do next to make it feel better (or if I'm in the mood, more challenging!). And my core strength has definitely improved - I find the planks and downward dogs much easier now.
Jan 2023
3:03pm, 3 Jan 2023
18,871 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
^^ agree completely. I always sit cross-legged on blocks otherwise I can't get the long back she talks about. I have got some flexibility back, but I was never massively bendy! I really notice the increased strength I have.
Jan 2023
3:05pm, 3 Jan 2023
21,084 posts
  •  
Sharkie
What does a block do exactly? They're selling them chap at Aldi right now.

Do you mean head on your knees/ arms clasp ankles in sitting legs forward? or somethinng else. I can't quite visualise how it works.
Jan 2023
3:08pm, 3 Jan 2023
18,872 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I put two together and literally sit on them as if a cushion. I can get my legs crossed with knees nearer the ground, and sit up taller than if I am just on the ground.
Jan 2023
3:08pm, 3 Jan 2023
21,085 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Am bendy but think it might help in balance things like half moon pose?
Jan 2023
3:11pm, 3 Jan 2023
59,079 posts
  •  
LindsD
Blocks are incredibly useful. Just to bridge the gaps if your body won't. When I did Iyengar I had 4 foam blocks and two wooden. And a belt and a bolster. Actually I still have but but sure where they all are.
Jan 2023
3:11pm, 3 Jan 2023
18,873 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
They can help with anything where you need the ground nearer to you I find!
Jan 2023
3:13pm, 3 Jan 2023
59,080 posts
  •  
LindsD
Quite. Also for me gap between bum and heels in anything requiring kneeling
Jan 2023
3:18pm, 3 Jan 2023
52,200 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I've just been using a selection of cushions for that.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bintmcskint
Who's in?

Adriene's 2024 30 day "yoga journey" is called Flow
Join us for the very best start to your yoga year :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.