•  
Autumnleaves
Also fine :)
Jan 2023
3:21pm, 3 Jan 2023
21,086 posts
  •  
Sharkie
They can help with anything where you need the ground nearer to you I find!

That's as good an explanation as any (although I still don't understand the knees closer to the floor! Without testing I think 'surely it raises your knees UP'. Am obvs crackers. Must investigate!) I will buy one at Aldi tomorrow.
Jan 2023
3:30pm, 3 Jan 2023
18,875 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have to say I don't understand it myself, but it works. Something to do with tight hips I guess.
Jan 2023
3:31pm, 3 Jan 2023
8,243 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Late to the party but just done Day 1.
Actually ties in nicely as my gym has stopped doing Flow classes for now and I had just finished when the phone ran and it was Nuffield gym offering me a pace on their 12 week Joint Pain Programme starting at the end of January. So that's me fixed for flexibility classes for a while! :)
Jan 2023
3:38pm, 3 Jan 2023
15,915 posts
  •  
Badger
I think that's right, AL. For me, if I sit without a block, I need to use my core hard to pull my upper body far enough forward to balance, working against my hip joints. With a block, the natural range of motion of my hips lets me keep my back upright and body balanced, then I can just relax my legs and let my knees spread.
Jan 2023
3:39pm, 3 Jan 2023
15,916 posts
  •  
Badger
So it's quite possible my knees are further from the floor, as well as further from each other, when I use the block, come to think of it.
Jan 2023
3:41pm, 3 Jan 2023
18,876 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Yes that makes sense Badger
Jan 2023
4:00pm, 3 Jan 2023
21,087 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I was intrigued (all matters biomechanical do that to me!) So I experimented with Raffo watching the angles! On a block knees stay in the same position but thighs will now be at a right angle with the torso. And you CAN sit up out of the hips without rounding over.

I'm thinking a lot about stuff like this right now because I'm trying to STOP sitting/sinking in the supporting side (hip) when I have the weight on that leg.

As per it's as much about control and strength and faulty movement patterns as it is about flexibility.
Jan 2023
4:01pm, 3 Jan 2023
21,088 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Will shut up now. Just needed to understand the mechanics.
Jan 2023
4:02pm, 3 Jan 2023
297 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
I just use books as blocks. Either under my butt for sitting cross legged so my hips complain less, or so I can touch the block instead of the floor in lunges. Means I can get into modified positions with dodgy hips......

About This Thread

Maintained by Bintmcskint
Who's in?

Adriene's 2024 30 day "yoga journey" is called Flow
Join us for the very best start to your yoga year :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.