NEW - 2024 Adriene's 30 Day Yoga Journey

2 lurkers | 54 watchers
Jul 2023
7:33am, 19 Jul 2023
21,567 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I have completed two sessions of my five day Yoga and Contemporary Dance course at the RAD in Battersea (a beautiful and impressive new building - we are in the small but equally new and impressive theatre space.)

The first day was a lot more yoga than dance - although the principles were nicely knitted together. We felt some of it was rather slow but it was good to really concentrate on deepening those yoga poses. Big emphasis on 'centre', using the lower abdominals and articulating the spine.

Yesterday was more dancey but still with a good 30-45 mins of solid yoga to begin with.

Thank goodness for my seven or whatever years of 30 days with you know who!

I'm writing about each day as it happens in my blog so won't ramble on here. I thought it would be good to record my changing feelings and reactions.
Jul 2023
7:46am, 19 Jul 2023
47,144 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Ooh this sounds really interesting, Sharks :-)
Looking forward to reading more!
Jul 2023
9:44am, 19 Jul 2023
366 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
Sharkie, that sounds great. Hopefully plenty of dance on top of the warm up yoga.
Jul 2023
8:53pm, 19 Jul 2023
47,146 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
First ever in person yoga class
Really enjoyed it! Nice, irreverent, relaxed atmosphere with the freedom to find what feels good. More laughter than I expected :-)
Swift flow to start, then some more challenging stuff and ending with a lovely long savasana.
It was good to have someone actually look at what I am doing, suggest a slight adjustment, and discover that I can do more than I might think.
Felt good to know that 3 years of at home practice does actually mean I can hold my own in a class of mixed abilities.
Really lovely to sit and breathe in a room full of other people sitting and breathing (sounds weird but I know what I mean).
Will be going back next week.
Jul 2023
9:33pm, 19 Jul 2023
62,961 posts
  •  
LindsD
So pleased to read this heart
Jul 2023
9:14am, 20 Jul 2023
47,149 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
It was also really refreshing to be in a room full of other people who also take many steps to get to the top of the mat, or who fall over when attempting a balance, etc

It can be easy with the at home practice to assume that you're the only one whose leg "doesn't do that" or who can't "float to the top of the mat"
Jul 2023
10:08am, 20 Jul 2023
367 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
Yes, all of that is what I miss about in person classes! Very glad your first in person class went so well. Especially the laughter.
Jul 2023
9:16pm, 20 Jul 2023
54,719 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
I absolutely get what you mean :)
Jul 2023
9:55am, 21 Jul 2023
19,270 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Yes, me too - when I retire I'll definitely find a class - none of the good local ones are at times I can do.
Jul 2023
10:09am, 21 Jul 2023
21,578 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Last night of my five two hour sessions tonight. I'll repeat that I have been very grateful for all those '30 Days' I've completed over the years - and that I managed to keep up with the daily thing as well as my other stuff at the time. Am deffo oldest person in the class and am also NOT flagging!

The first night had the highest yoga to dance ratio - been more even since, and has become more obvious how they complement each other. Jenny (the teacher) will remind us to use various yoga poses/principles that we've learned while doing a dance exercise.

Have also got a couple of new ace stretches.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bintmcskint
Who's in?

Adriene's 2024 30 day "yoga journey" is called Flow
Join us for the very best start to your yoga year :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.