Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Sep 2011
7:26pm, 10 Sep 2011
854 posts
  •  
Garfield
Hmmm, this could be a dangerous place for me to lurk...
Sep 2011
8:30pm, 10 Sep 2011
5,897 posts
  •  
runner duck
meglet - could you add the links to the article ^ :)

been in the car quite a bit today so i've been blanket square knitting.

about to do a sample square for a waistcoat :)
Sep 2011
9:01pm, 10 Sep 2011
711 posts
  •  
Marchbanks
Garfield it is...116 new posts eeek!
Sep 2011
11:08pm, 10 Sep 2011
8,112 posts
  •  
Meglet
done!
Sep 2011
11:10pm, 10 Sep 2011
8,113 posts
  •  
Meglet
Following ont he craft theme I've spent the evening destemming elderberries I picked earlier today. I picked twice as many as I needed as I haven't done it before. Its very tedious but I passed the time with X-Factor and Last Night of Proms (how diverse?!)

Not sure whether to call it "Last Night of the Proms Elderberry Jelly" or "Land of Hope and Glory Elderberry Jelly" (my mum once made "Wimbledon Jam", Connors/McEnroe final I think).
Sep 2011
11:15pm, 10 Sep 2011
9,206 posts
  •  
HellsBells
well I'm half way down a Land of Hope and Glory sock :-)
I impressed the children by not only knitting on 4 needles but knowing all the words to land of Hope and Glory, Rule Brittainia, Jerusalem and several verses of the national Anthem - a childhood in the Brownies and Guides was not wasted!
Sep 2011
11:22pm, 10 Sep 2011
8,115 posts
  •  
Meglet
All the words to Rule Brittania or just the chorus?

I learnt Land of.. when I went to a swim session of the Commonwealth Games. Thankfully if was printed in the programme as we had to sing it 3 times :)
Sep 2011
11:23pm, 10 Sep 2011
5,899 posts
  •  
runner duck
lol meglet and hb!

and singing along to those old favourites - i still love many hymns from my school days. although i think it's right that assemblies aren't church of england nowadays i do find it sad that my kids don't know the old hymns. i'm not religious (hence they never learnt them at church), but somehow there's nothing like so rousing as a good old hymn.

swatch done, needles chosen, waistcoat begun :)
Sep 2011
7:50am, 11 Sep 2011
742 posts
  •  
spinkle
I loathe hymns. They remind me of dark dark times in the past and hence the reason I avoid church like The Plague (sorry God, if you're bothered)

Cardi coming on well, but with 4 ply and my giant body, it could take a while.
Sep 2011
9:04am, 11 Sep 2011
17,249 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have a fairly religious background - both a churchgoing family and independent dabbling in the more evangelical stuff when I was a student - and no hard feelings about it (TBH, I'm still a believer at heart on the grounds that a Creator makes as much sense to me as primordial soup or big bangs) and I love hymns and know a lot of the verses that nobody ever actually sings nowadays :)

Being still a bit ill, I had a quiet day yesterday and am hammering through a toddler-sized frock. I did the size I'm doing because I thought I had exactly the right amount of yarn for it, then checked and discovered I'm actually a hank short. I may have to go shopping ;)

I'm trying to train myself to follow patterns without customising, but am now wishing I'd done a little row of hearts along the bottom of the skirt. They may appear on the bodice :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557