Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Zeb
Sep 2011
10:39am, 10 Sep 2011
504 posts
  •  
Zeb
My mum says you need to put it on the back of two chairs. I make Mr Zeb or one of the kids hold it.

Hello, you lot are a bad influence. After reading this thread I'm now 4' into a very long scarf.
Sep 2011
10:44am, 10 Sep 2011
9,202 posts
  •  
HellsBells
finished the girl's scarf last night and made her hold a skein of laughing Yaffle whilst i balled it - it turned into a fun activity that kept the whole family occupied (please note the heavy sarcasm)
It took hours and many fingers to detangle!
Sep 2011
10:48am, 10 Sep 2011
17,243 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I had no kids available, and think it might have been dangling a bit loosely from the chair-backs. I should've got eL Bee! to stretch his legs out and looped it round his ankles while he was at the computer. Might get a load done while the Vuelta is on telly today ... ;)

Great stuff, Zeb! Looking forward to the photos. Are you on Ravelry?

My patients are failing to turn up this morning. I'm making good inroads into the slubby-cotton baby-sized hoodie I started knitting a week or so ago. It's quite strange making something that's supposed to look scruffy and rustic rather than neat and precise.
Sep 2011
10:56am, 10 Sep 2011
17,244 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Phew! Not just me, then, HellsBells!

I wonder whether Tink will be so keen to have a big cardigan made with paviyarns.co.uk (I hasten to add I didn't pay anything like £14.95 a hank for it!) if she knows she's going to have to be the stooge for the de-skeining of five hanks!

Artesano do some nice free patterns online. I showed one to Tink. She declared it to be like a witch's cloak and showed me a grandad-style cardi in the Joe Browns catalogue on which she wants hers to be modelled.
Sep 2011
11:32am, 10 Sep 2011
5,890 posts
  •  
runner duck
ooooh that yarn looks lovely, v'rap.

glad it's not just me that finds it hard to deskein. the only time i've done it i had a disaster with the first skein. the second and third i hung from the hook on the bathroom door (i was in a hotel) and very carefully balled it while following the skein up and down and detangling as i went when the wool in the skein crossed over. it took ages and i had very achey arms by the end!

i'm thinking of asking father christmas for the relevant equipment :)

i have only one ear of the first teddy to go. i think sewing it up is going to be testing. not done anything like it before! luckily daughter has baggsied the first one and i know she will be forgiving of any imperfections :)

does anyone know which stuffing is good? or is it all much of a muchness? again, completely new territory for me!
Sep 2011
11:32am, 10 Sep 2011
8,105 posts
  •  
Meglet
Why do they sell it in skeins and not balls? Surely it's just as easy to make a ball from the raw stuff as a skein?

I made my first attempt at amigurami with a pattern off the internet and an oddment of wool I bought for something ages ago. I was amazed to keep the right number of stitches at eachnstage and it doesn't look too bad! Need to do some ears then sew it together (it's a teddy bear head). Hopefully visiting a wool shop later today.
Sep 2011
11:37am, 10 Sep 2011
5,891 posts
  •  
runner duck
excellent question, meglet. especially as it seems to be the companies that make very expensive (and beautiful) wool that don't ball it. i understand for the little hand dyed company places. unless there is a reason that i just don't know, which is perfectly possible :)

aargh just looked on the amigurami website - i really need to learn to crochet!

maybe that should be my goal, to be good enough at crocheting to make amigurami christmas presents next year :)
Sep 2011
11:40am, 10 Sep 2011
8,106 posts
  •  
Meglet
It really wasn't that difficult, especially as it only uses dc and no other stitch! Crochet has a way of making quite a firm piece when it's finished too which I like. Thank goodness for the internet which I've used to remind me how to decrease and do the stitches properly.
Sep 2011
11:42am, 10 Sep 2011
5,893 posts
  •  
runner duck
in which case they might be good projects to learn on, then :)
Sep 2011
11:45am, 10 Sep 2011
17,245 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Maybe it's just a pretentiousness thing with the skeins, and we should boycott all the companies that don't sell ready-balled yarn ;)

(For hand-dyeing, it's a lot easier to do with a skein.)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557