Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
9:14am, 11 Sep 2011
517 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
I have various balls of wool lying around in boxes that I don't use for my crafts....I can check what brands etc if anyoe would be interested in me sending it to them....a lot went to church for their charity events, but it's just sat doing nothing... My OH used to work at Coats Crafts and he rescued it from being skipped...what a waste!
Sep 2011
9:21am, 11 Sep 2011
9,226 posts
  •  
Mikuro
Noooo meglet that's right near me! *hides car keys*
Sep 2011
9:24am, 11 Sep 2011
8,119 posts
  •  
Meglet
That's ok, you'll never find it unless you look at the map on the website! ;)
Sep 2011
9:27am, 11 Sep 2011
17,250 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Welcome, Nicki! Sorry I missed you popping in last night. I'm a bit like you - ideas absolutely bursting out of my head, but the result isn't always what I imagine it would be. Which is partly why I'm training myself to follow other people's patterns properly.

I'm sure the thread will collectively hoover up your surplus balls of wool :)

Interested in the papercraft angle too! It's not something I've done since, probably, lovingly hand-made valentine cards when I was in my teens (maybe the fact that they were wasted on boys who would never have guessed it was me who sent them put me off) but I have a notion of getting some basic materials - ready-made cards (because life's too short to guillotine my own), a couple of decent pens, some old silk garments and some metallic thread - and making my Christmas cards.

If I'm going to buy old clothes for cutting up, I'm going to have to steel myself to searching for things that aren't in my size and aren't in pristine condition. This is not easy!
Sep 2011
9:28am, 11 Sep 2011
8,120 posts
  •  
Meglet
Nicki, if you have any that are just one ball in odd colours could I have them for my amigurami please? Don't split up any batches, someone else might like those.
Sep 2011
9:31am, 11 Sep 2011
8,121 posts
  •  
Meglet
I'm going to have to make a list of all the things I've made over the years, as V'rap has just reminded me that I've made Christmas cards before. It's much better to buy ready made cards and envelopes, it's very difficult to get an accurate cut and fold on a random piece of card.
Sep 2011
9:32am, 11 Sep 2011
17,251 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That looks like a highly dangerous place, Meglet!
Sep 2011
9:32am, 11 Sep 2011
31,090 posts
  •  
LorraineS
Meglet has just taught me a new word .. amigurami (has just been Googled)

looks like fun :-)
Sep 2011
9:36am, 11 Sep 2011
9,227 posts
  •  
Mikuro
There are loads and loads of books Lorraine...I've got one I keep meaning to delve into but it involves buying more wool as you need lots of colours, and I can't justify it right now. ;)
Sep 2011
9:36am, 11 Sep 2011
518 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
Hi Vrap, thanks for the welcome. I love this thread already!

Some wool currently winging its way to Mikura....forgot to ask for your address, that would be useful! :-p

No problem Meglet, have random balls of wool. I can bring you some this afternoon to Wetherby if you like? Pardon my ignorance, but is to smooth or fluffy wool you need?! When I say fluffy, I mean like the Patons Misty....I also have a Prym knitting hook if that is of any use to you?

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557