Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
11:53am, 10 Sep 2011
5,894 posts
  •  
runner duck
i did wonder if it was a bit of a marketing thing. a bit along the lines of too posh to push - too posh to ball ;)
Sep 2011
2:01pm, 10 Sep 2011
9,203 posts
  •  
HellsBells
quick question for all you clever folk
I've started my socks and am having my first ever try at 4 needles.
How do I prevent it from going loose at the start/end of each round?
I've got a very obvious join that's quite loopy?
Sep 2011
2:08pm, 10 Sep 2011
17,246 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You need to deliberately tighten the yarn a little when you change needles, HellsBells, otherwise you get ladders.

Alternatively, use two circular needles instead of DPNs ... or treat yourself to some of these celticove.com

(I have some - they're good, but working in such tiny little circles is quite hard on the fingers!)
Sep 2011
2:48pm, 10 Sep 2011
17,248 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I tried asking Tink to hold a skein of yarn while I balled it. She lasted about 30 seconds, then told me to get Fellmouse to do it because she was more patient. But I may have found a solution - the little rack at the bottom of eL Bee!'s flip chart stand that holds the pens was perfect for suspending the skein loosely but securely and I had the ball done in no time at all :)

Going back to our roots, I think putting skeins of yarn into balls should be touted as a weight-loss strategy because it certainly keeps my hands out of the cake tin. On Wednesday when I made the proper mess with the 4-ply chenille, I was so absorbed with getting it untangled that I didn't want to be bothered with such trivialities as eating.
Sep 2011
2:57pm, 10 Sep 2011
8,108 posts
  •  
Meglet
I spent 10 minutes at parkrun this morning untangling the rope for the finish funnel, I quite enjoy jobs like that! Maybe not a whole skein of wool though...
Sep 2011
4:00pm, 10 Sep 2011
9,204 posts
  •  
HellsBells
thanks V'rap - I was pulling it tight but it's still a bit laddery
been out looking at cars - choosing wool is easier!
Sep 2011
4:23pm, 10 Sep 2011
741 posts
  •  
spinkle
Hells, I found that no matter how hard I pulled the yarn I still got ladders, so.

I knit all the stitches from left needle to right then knit a couple from the next needle with the right needle (the spare needle I put behind my ear for a second) then I use it to knit the rest of the segment and a couple off the next needle and so on. You stitch marker slowly makes it's way round all of the needles.

Hope I've explained it adequately! If not you tube no doubt will have a smug American demoing it.
Sep 2011
5:41pm, 10 Sep 2011
7,971 posts
  •  
Girlie
Afternoon all. I'm glad its not just me who gets tangled in a skein! I try to arrange the skein a bit before winding as it does get twisted, but i find the best solution is to bribe a small child or husband to hold it or to hope mother offers to wind it!
Sep 2011
6:02pm, 10 Sep 2011
515 posts
  •  
Nicki No Miles
Just found this thread - it's fab!

I started off scrapbooking, never really took to cards, make bags out of recycled clothes & fabrics and mre recently am trying my hand at a bit of mixed media on canvas. Phew! :-)

Have so many ideas, but quite often have a mental block and/or the inability to get it from my head to my hands :-p

But I heart being crafty :-)
Sep 2011
7:24pm, 10 Sep 2011
8,110 posts
  •  
Meglet
I've made a great find today, the wool shop in Ilkley is also a pottery painting place and a cafe! The lady in there was really helpful and showed me some stuff they had made up, some stuff she was working on and some internet stuff on her iPad. I can see why wool shops are real spending traps!

This is the shop createcafe.co.uk
This si the site she recommended attic24.typepad.com for the blog, ideas and patterns including tutorials with pictures :)

I've also bought some small balls of cheap wool and a book of cute animal crochet and I think I've decided on a ripple blanket for my niece or nephew, colours to be chosen once I know what flavour baby it is.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557