Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

5 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
7:59am, 1 Sep 2011
2,804 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
My Mum taught me how to knit, and I think she taught me crochet too, but I can't remember any of that. Runner Duck, I can't wind the wool round the needle and still keep hold of the needle either. Mum never managed to teach me that, or perhaps she didn't notice.
Sep 2011
8:03am, 1 Sep 2011
269 posts
  •  
wobblingTime
SallyKate - I think the big weave fabric is called aida?
Sep 2011
8:22am, 1 Sep 2011
9,120 posts
  •  
HellsBells
think there was some called Binca as well
Sep 2011
9:25am, 1 Sep 2011
208 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
I *think* my Mum taught me how to knit and sew, but it was sooooo long ago I can't remember! I'm much better at starting stuff than finishing them though - started making a cot quilt for my Neice befre she was born, she'll be 9 in a couple of weeks and it's still not finished!
Sep 2011
9:28am, 1 Sep 2011
9,122 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I was taught to knit by an elderly lady my mum used to visit in the village - she met her when she did meals on wheels - a retired spinster school teacher who was very disabled and used to spend her days knitting. I used to go up there on a saturday morning after going to the library to keep her company for a bit and she taught me to knit
My mum used to knit, but never had the time or inclination to teach me
My daughter is knitting a scarf for a teddy and my two younger sons have both asked me to show them how
Sep 2011
10:14am, 1 Sep 2011
1,769 posts
  •  
sallykate
I've also got a great book which I had as a girl (I've written my address in it as ...UK, the world, the universe etc!). It's *very* 70s but is great for the basics of all sorts of stuff -- even hat making and simple silver jewellery. And it's still around on Amazon! amazon.co.uk
Sep 2011
10:25am, 1 Sep 2011
707 posts
  •  
spinkle
Ooooh I just got me a new circular needle. ChiaoGoo - with 'no memory' cord - yippee! No more cord wrangling!
Sep 2011
10:25am, 1 Sep 2011
5,803 posts
  •  
runner duck
glad it's not just me, kk. sometimes when i'm knitting public i wonder if other people (especially older ladies) are itching to show me how to do it right!

that's a lovely story, hb. and i'm jealous your children are interested! my daughter did ask last night if i found it relaxing so i'm hoping that's a chink in the armour. i confess i don't think i've ever offered to teach my son. in my own defence i wasn't knitting when he was the right sort of age. but i haven't offered since i have been knitting which probably is innate gender stereotyping on my part.

i'll ask him later (he's 22) and see what sort of response i get :)

love the book, sk. that dog is so 70s!

sb, my oh still teases me about the kaffe fassett jumper i got 3/4 of the way knitting for him over 20 years ago and never finished!
Sep 2011
10:31am, 1 Sep 2011
708 posts
  •  
spinkle
I don't think my son would be very interested. He just have that sort of concentration span. I could see him weaving maybe.

I'd like a go at spinning.
Sep 2011
10:33am, 1 Sep 2011
709 posts
  •  
spinkle
My laptop has died. Pls excuse random spelling/ grammar typos

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557