Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

3 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
11:30am, 31 Aug 2011
5,787 posts
  •  
runner duck
i know, kk, i rarely leave a mistake - i can't bear it and it just leaps out every time i look at it!

ooh, good advice, m4p, i certainly didn't know that :)

i've made a start on the buttoned short scarf thingy - the pattern i'm using calls it a pidge which i've never heard of - i think it'll be perfect for christmas presents. quick and effective.
Aug 2011
11:32am, 31 Aug 2011
50,255 posts
  •  
Hanneke
V-rap... how about some elastic around the bottom of the teacosy to keep it fitting the teapot shape without being baggy, but stretching over it's bulge to fit it?

Yes, I am still lurking... Is this the start of a slippery slope? My recent foray into mountainbiking started with lukring on the 'fat tyre' thread ;)
Aug 2011
11:41am, 31 Aug 2011
32,464 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Ooh Glad to have been of service to a few people :)

Hann, so what's going to be your first project?
Aug 2011
11:42am, 31 Aug 2011
702 posts
  •  
spinkle
I learned my lessons the hard way with lace knitting. Lifelines, lifelines, lifelines!!! - you thread a finer yarn through the work when it's on the needles, like, I dunno, maybe, every 5 rows and that means if you mess up, you can frog back to the lifeline with no hassle of twisted or dropped stitches.

I thought 'pah - waste of time' first time I heard about them... Wouldn't attempt any lace knitting without them.

Yes M4P you are allowed a double yarn budget if you are not going to the gym :-)
Aug 2011
11:46am, 31 Aug 2011
7,935 posts
  •  
Girlie
Spinkle- I did that on the last pair of socks- laid one at the end of each full repeat and moved it up as I went along.
Aug 2011
11:53am, 31 Aug 2011
2,644 posts
  •  
Star x
Hanneke - could well be a slippery slope - I dug out my cross-stitch that was packed up when I moved house over 4 years ago - its still on the frame and has the needle still through the aida - which has now left a rusty mark - I just need to find the wee toilet bag that I had put the threads and pattern in now!!!

and thats a top tip - all the wee toilet bags that you get gift sets in at Christmas etc.....make perfect craft bags :-)
Aug 2011
11:56am, 31 Aug 2011
703 posts
  •  
spinkle
RD the shawl took only 1 skein but the pattern I used could be easily be adapted to make it bigger. I like a shawl to double as a kerchief style scarfy wotsit too so I don't make them too big. It's on my project page on Rav.

The Americans call it 'fingering' weight (fnarrr!) which is 4ply to me. I used to be a bit freaked by people on Rav knitting lace style projects with this stuff but it does look great.
Aug 2011
12:06pm, 31 Aug 2011
17,072 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Lifelines. Great idea :)

Hanneke, elastic makes excellent logical sense, but one of the attractions of knitting is being able to tailor your fabric to fit by using appropriate yarns and stitches and shapings.
Aug 2011
12:10pm, 31 Aug 2011
704 posts
  •  
spinkle
You can get a t-shirt for everything these days: zazzle.co.uk
Aug 2011
12:25pm, 31 Aug 2011
5,789 posts
  •  
runner duck
oooh i'll take a look spinkle, i wanted a smaller shawl - get much more use out of it, i think. i had one years ago that i bought from laura ashley and wore it non-stop. perfect with jumpers etc.

i don't understand how those lifelines work, i'll have to find a youtube vid.

good idea, star-x. i need to organise my stuff more.

love the t shirt!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557