Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
10:12pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,060 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm sure old teapots were widest at the base.

I will get it worked out, dammit, and I will get it worked out without it having to be buttoned under the handle!
Aug 2011
10:16pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,061 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Could be worse. eL Bee! has just Googled pictures of teapots to prove me wronng, and come up with all sorts of novelty shapes.
Aug 2011
10:18pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,771 posts
  •  
runner duck
aaah i see. can't really remember :)

does it keep sliding back up?
Aug 2011
10:20pm, 30 Aug 2011
16,903 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
I wasn't trying to prove you wrong.

That would be suicide ;)
Aug 2011
10:32pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,772 posts
  •  
runner duck
x post - there are all sorts of monstrosities out there...
Aug 2011
10:35pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,062 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I want it to fit closely all round and not be baggy at the bottom. The yarn I'm using is very stretchy so it may well work :)
Aug 2011
10:49pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,774 posts
  •  
runner duck
oh yes, of course, you need it to be able to stretch over the fat bit but then be tight underneath. would ribbed work if what you are doing now doesn't?

just found the yarn on ebay. just a bit wary of using paypal as it has been doing strange things and i haven't bothered to sort it out.
Aug 2011
10:58pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,063 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Will the seller accept a cheque? Some do, if you ask them, and even prefer it to avoid PayPal fees :)

Ribbing would work, I'm sure. What I've actually done so far is a seed-stitch lower edge, then increased from 75 stitches to 98, and a C4F/C4B lattice to add stretch and thickness. Shaping it for the spout and handle comes next, and I'll decrease quite sharply at the top.

And if that fails, I'll make one of those big semicircle things that just covers the whole teapot.

I do not - absolutely do not - have the Colinette website open in another window, and I am not marvelling at how inexpensive the hand-dyed cotton mixes and wool are on there :)
Aug 2011
11:42pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,775 posts
  •  
runner duck
that sounds lovely. i do like cable work. i want to make a cable work blanket one day. you do it in strips and basically any cable you like from quite plain to really fancy and or bobbly then sew them together :)

i might see if they'll do that, v'rap. oh didn't go into meltdown at the idea of my using paypal again. i think it just had a 'moment' and kept adding money to our account then taking it away again then sending emails saying our bank was rejecting them. but it wasn't. and the account ended up with the right balance at the end of it all. but that was a month or so ago. but then again i haven't paid with them since. which does have the added benefit of keeping me away from ebay... but an armless and earless teddy is exceptional circumstances, i think :)

now i have to go and see what the colinette website is...
Aug 2011
11:52pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,064 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's mostly rather silly big novelty yarns, RD, but the Banyan and Tao and Cadenza are very much my sort of thing :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557