Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
3:32pm, 30 Aug 2011
25,451 posts
  •  
Toks
Hopefully I will back to knitting on Thursday :-)
Aug 2011
3:53pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,046 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sallykate, eBay can be useful, but you need to be very, very careful.

First, don't assume that a buy-it-now price (or even an auction start price) on eBay is EVER the best price for something. Google the thing you're looking for - you may be able to get it at a better price from a non-eBay online shop. For example, Celticove currently has some great bargains on Araucania and Mirasol.

Be aware that wool often gets bid up past what it would cost just to buy. This is especially true of high-profile brands like Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Noro, and some of the fancier hand-dyed yarn brands, and of auctions that finish at peak domestic computer-usage time.

Don't take anything on trust. If a ball doesn't have a band, or the seller "thinks" it's 100% wool, it could be anything. And don't assume the amount of wool shown in the picture is what you'll get. I landed some nice cotton yarn last night for less than £1 per 50g ball including P&P because the auction was for 6 balls but there was only one in the picture. And there is one particular trader who puts up photos of 10 balls and you think you're getting a bargain, but if you read the words the price is actually for 5 balls.

And always factor P&P into the total price.

Lots of people seem to use eBay to source their yarn, so bargains aren't easy to come by.
Aug 2011
4:09pm, 30 Aug 2011
25 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I've always got a pair of socks on the go, because they're small and easy to carry to knit while waiting for daughter to finish ballet etc., although I have slipped up and currently have two pairs (one pair is my 'upstairs knitting' I keep next to the bed), and then there is the leafy waistcoat for me that's nearly finished and the jumper for a friend's baby. Next up is a Rowan wrap cardigan...
Aug 2011
4:26pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,047 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Hi Cyclops :)

I feel very reassured that I'm not the only person who tends to have several pieces on the go at once. I usually have a big thing (currently a jumper for me) and a small thing on the go at home, and another project at work. Which is why one of the drawers of my desk contains about 1200g of frogged Sirdar Click Chunky - I'd made almost a full jumper, decided I didn't actually like it much and didn't have enough yarn left for a fancy high neck or a hood, ripped it all out, and my son decided that he'd like something made with it. But although it's green it's sort of girly with heathery-purple flecks, so Tink may get it instead.
Aug 2011
4:35pm, 30 Aug 2011
31,009 posts
  •  
LorraineS
I don't buy much online as I like to go to wool shops ... it's like being let out to play in a sweetie shop :)
Aug 2011
4:39pm, 30 Aug 2011
17,049 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It SO is, Lorraine!

I have promised myself that I'll just use up what I've got now then have a splurge at Woolfest next June ... it's on my doorstep, so I'm offering bed and board to other Fetch wool-workers who would like to come along :)
Aug 2011
5:11pm, 30 Aug 2011
264 posts
  •  
wobblingTime
Another cross stitcher here. I'm currently working on a sampler for MrWT's Nana's 90th birthday next month.
Aug 2011
5:39pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,761 posts
  •  
runner duck
puts hand up for woolfest if it doesn't clash with hols :) do you have the dates, v'rap? my laptop is being silly about search engines at the moment...

bet you can't wait to get your mitts on your knitting, now, toks :)

hello, wt! piccie please :)

teddy mk1 has a head, a nose and a body. really enjoying knitting little bits and lots of inc and dec. nice change from blanket squares :)

sewing up will be a learning curve tho!
Aug 2011
5:45pm, 30 Aug 2011
699 posts
  •  
spinkle
Am hoping to escape for the day to Ally Pally for the Twisted Thread Expo. I am saving my pennies for that. Am also going to Cake International too.

Not sure WoolFest is doable, what with the kiddle and all.

I am going to try tinkering with a pattern for a mug hug with Fetch logo on. Shouldn't be too hard.....
Aug 2011
5:50pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,762 posts
  •  
runner duck
oooh nice idea, spinkle :) i even have the home colours wool from a little project a couple of years ago...

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557