Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
8:04am, 31 Aug 2011
5,777 posts
  •  
runner duck
i get a bit overwhelmed with all the pretties because then i don't know what to knit with them. i need a yarn/pattern matching service :)
Aug 2011
8:09am, 31 Aug 2011
17,068 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I know exactly what I want to knit with everything that takes my fancy, I just don't have the time and, sometimes, the skill level to justify the cost of the yarn.
Aug 2011
8:13am, 31 Aug 2011
5,781 posts
  •  
runner duck
really wish i did. i think i'm just not experienced enough yet, i think. and again, all the different weights confuse me!

i have 3 skeins of araucania ranco multy in a darkish blue/green combo. i think i bought it thinking scarves or socks but would welcome suggestions. and i'm not convinced it's suitable for socks anyway...
Aug 2011
8:37am, 31 Aug 2011
2,799 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
Sorry I'm late. Almost wish I hadn't stumbled on this thread, but you are all so inspiring.

4 years ago, for the first time in, ooh, years, I started knitting a cable cardigan (I do like doing cable, it's easy and looks impressive). I took it with me to Amsterdam for the weekend and knitted on the Eurostar there and back. While there, the friend I was staying with gave me an old wooden pretty needle carrier full of needles that an old lady had left to him, along with a lot of her furniture. I managed to bring it back through Eurostar security even though it looked like a cosh, and was full of pointy things! I'm sorry to say that the cardigan still isn't finished, and worse than that I keep putting off starting again, because it's quite difficult to work out precisely where I got to (when I put the knitting down for the last time, I didn't realise it would be quite so long before I picked it up again).

About twelfty years ago Mr Kath once said he didn't like me knitting because it made him feel old (it didn't stop me though). Now he's positively middle-aged I figure it won't make any difference!
Aug 2011
9:06am, 31 Aug 2011
701 posts
  •  
spinkle
I used Araucania Ranco in a shawl. It was nice to work with and I'm happy with the result - it's heading to MIL for xmas.

KK - I tell people that I knit so that I don't kill. When you say that with pointed sticks in your hand people nod and back away slowly...and then shut up.

I knit through about £30 a yarn a month on average. Which is the same as my gym membership. I don't drink, smoke or go out very often so I reckon £60 to keep body and mind in decent shape is pretty good ;-)
Aug 2011
9:17am, 31 Aug 2011
2,800 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
Spinkle that's marvellous, I might borrow that, if you don't mind. :-)
Aug 2011
9:21am, 31 Aug 2011
1,761 posts
  •  
sallykate
V'rap thanks so much for taking the time to advise.

another thing for my project list -- an Afghan (granny square blanket to Brits) crochetme.com I might vary the squares and do some duplicates rather than all different.
Aug 2011
10:23am, 31 Aug 2011
17,069 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Is it the sock-weight or the dk-ish weight Araucania Ranco Multy, RD? The latter would make very cosy thick trekking-weight or post-race socks!

Hi Kath :) Where are you with the cardigan? Could you take it back to a point at which you DO know where you're at, even if it means sacrificing part of the section you're currently working on? It's probably worth it.

I once lost most of a jumper by doing something similar - but I had knitted all the pieces I'd done so far together and done the neckband and it was pretty much unsalvageable. Fortunately, I'd gone off it anyway. It was in Rowan Bamboo Soft, which isn't really suitable for adult garments unless you like the droopy look.
Aug 2011
10:24am, 31 Aug 2011
5,784 posts
  •  
runner duck
knitting is cool now anyway. or so i'm told - i'm too old too actually be in the know about these things ;)

go on, kk, get that cardi out again, it won't take you long to figure out where you were up to :)

i heart granny square blankets. one of the reasons i want to learn to crochet properly.

how many skeins did it take for the shawl, spinkle?
Aug 2011
10:45am, 31 Aug 2011
5,785 posts
  •  
runner duck
me again :)

i've been looking at patterns on ravelry. when it says what the yardage is does that mean how many yards(metres) the pattern requires and therefore lets you know how many balls/skeins you need?

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557