Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Jul 2020
2:00pm, 25 Jul 2020
38,158 posts
  •  
Purps
Sharkie, it was fmail and fb messenger, so over the course of a couple of conversations. The tips might be useful to others, so I'll put it together and get others to add their insight too.
Jul 2020
4:47pm, 25 Jul 2020
21,148 posts
  •  
Meglet
People who’ve been making masks, which pattern do you favour? I’ve a couple that just work their way down if I talk. I can’t really work out how to change it to make it fit better.
Jul 2020
4:52pm, 25 Jul 2020
2,486 posts
  •  
Drell
Masks: I've tried about 4 different patterns, but have settled on the Dhurata Davies pattern: https://dhuratadavies.com/blogs/things-i-make-and-do/free-face-mask-pattern-and-tutorial. I add in a nose wire, but not quite how she recommends -- I sew a channel in the seam allowance.
Jul 2020
4:54pm, 25 Jul 2020
2,487 posts
  •  
Drell
Sewing machines: I recently upgraded to a modern Janome, which I love. So much better than my previous one, which probably dates from the 1960s. It's amazing how much easier it makes life, being able to do things like zigzag! Let alone buttonholes... Threading the machine and loading the bobbin are now a piece of cake. It has really reawakened my interest in sewing and dressmaking.
Jul 2020
4:55pm, 25 Jul 2020
16,260 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Janome does sound the way to go!
Jul 2020
4:56pm, 25 Jul 2020
16,261 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Oh and I noticed two thirds of the sewing machines at John Lewis are currently out of stock! Home gym equipment, bread flour and ...sewing machines. :-)
Jul 2020
5:06pm, 25 Jul 2020
26,989 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’m using the big community sew shaped pattern. bigcommunitysew.co.uk
I’m doing the elastic differently though - sewing the ends together rather than knotting. I’m also top stitching the whole thing rather than just the elastic channels as they just look so much better properly finished, but it makes them take so long - I’ve done 6 since 2:30 (with a couple of breaks to watch wickets falling in the cricket) and have another 10 to do today. I’m just not happy to charge for them or send them out if they’re not neat and tidy
Jul 2020
5:13pm, 25 Jul 2020
26,990 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’ve also moved on to flat, aluminium purpose bought strips for the nose pieces, slipped into a channel made by a strip of bias tape - I haven’t found a better way to do it, despite the 2 lines of stitching it leaves on the right side.
I had no problems with slippage with mine during a full 3 hour food bank session.
Jul 2020
5:20pm, 25 Jul 2020
21,149 posts
  •  
Meglet
Thanks for the patterns

I sewed the bias strip to the lining before joining the two pieces together to prevent the extra line of stitching on the outside. I also prefer top stitching all the way round.

I’ve saved a few metal strips from surgical masks from work, as well as the elastic loops!
Jul 2020
5:35pm, 25 Jul 2020
26,991 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I tried putting the strip on the lining only, but found I needed to control all the layers to get a fit that stops glasses from steaming up

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557