Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

9 lurkers | 169 watchers
Jul 2020
12:54pm, 11 Jul 2020
2,363 posts
  •  
fraggle
runnyeyes - give me a shout if you need any advice re quilting :-) but top tip is get yourself a 1/4 inch seam foot for your machine if you haven't got one already :-)
Jul 2020
2:50pm, 11 Jul 2020
6,718 posts
  •  
sallykate
I've made a few log cabin quilts and tend to do the "quilt as you go" method, where you sew each piece directly on the wadding and backing, making large quilted squares which you then sew together.

Would have made one this year from my niece as a wedding present but it was called off because of the pandemic and I don't know when it'll be. I should design it anyway and start working on it.
Gus
Jul 2020
5:04pm, 11 Jul 2020
1,697 posts
  •  
Gus
I've dabbled in quilting in the past and recently found my stash of material I had bought for grandson's quilt when he was a baby, he's 21 now! And my 1/4 inch seam foot arrived this morning to help with top stitching face masks. I feel a bit of quilting will be in order shortly, once I've finished knitting a minion for one of my friends.
Jul 2020
8:32pm, 11 Jul 2020
1,768 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Gus 😂. 21 years is quite sometime. Is that a record for stash hoarding on here?
Jul 2020
8:34pm, 11 Jul 2020
1,769 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Thanks fraggle.. do I need a walking foot? They are £££££ expensive. Are they pretty useful things anyway?

I hadn’t thought of a 1/4 inch foot. Thanks
Jul 2020
9:47pm, 11 Jul 2020
2,365 posts
  •  
fraggle
You need the 1/4 inch foot for piecing the bits together, I use the walking foot a lot when quilting as I’m not brave enough to do free motion quilting yet. You can get by without it, but it really does help prevent tucks and puckers. You can get non branded ones on amazon which might fit your machine and do the trick ?
Jul 2020
10:39pm, 11 Jul 2020
6,721 posts
  •  
sallykate
*goes off to Google 1/4 inch foot*
Jul 2020
1:07pm, 12 Jul 2020
2,367 posts
  •  
fraggle
more fabric masks hot off the needle

Jul 2020
2:22pm, 12 Jul 2020
1,770 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Nice masks 😀. I’ve been using the pattern that Purps put up.

And through that I found this blogger on YouTube
https://youtu.be/kS9W9n_FRLY

I’ve always said I’m not interested in making clothes.. but I do seem a bit addicted to her videos.
Jul 2020
3:35pm, 19 Jul 2020
23,374 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
That's such a helpful video, runnyeyes, even though I've made several of that pattern!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557