Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
May 2020
2:44pm, 15 May 2020
46,533 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Close, jabberknit!

I had a game of yarn chicken at the end of my chevron blanket. I had to do a simple rather than stretchy cast-off to avoid running out of yarn.
May 2020
3:03pm, 15 May 2020
3,440 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Well, actually, there may have been two skeins bought, because why buy one, when you can buy two? so no real problem apart from a couple of extra ends to sew in.

It looks a bit of a dishrag now it's finished, as lace stuff always does, and I'm not sure how I'm going to wash/block it here at my Mum's. Will have a think and a rootle round my Mum's stuff to see if she's got any pins anywhere. It may just have to wait!
May 2020
6:27pm, 15 May 2020
12,706 posts
  •  
Garfield
Phew...I'm working my way through that lacy thing still...though had a close call when hubby tried talking to me as I was doing a particularly challenging counting exercise. I had to back up 50 stitches and work it out very carefully! Got there in the end.
May 2020
6:06pm, 17 May 2020
21,026 posts
  •  
Meglet
Has anybody sewn any scrubs and can recommend a pattern? I'm thinking of making myself some more tops and trousers for work so I can change more frequently, along with maybe some hats and drawstring bags. Might be bold and pick some funky fabric!
WA
May 2020
6:32pm, 17 May 2020
6,824 posts
  •  
WA
Came across this today on my walk. Complete with hook

Lovely :-)
May 2020
7:08pm, 17 May 2020
12,725 posts
  •  
Garfield
:)
May 2020
8:23pm, 18 May 2020
21,030 posts
  •  
Meglet
I've put in a few fabric orders from different places this afternoon (try my local, the Remnant House who are doing online sales-though they are now closed as they take a certain number of orders per day). I found some amazing toothy fabric, including guinea pig dentists (!!) but they came from a company called Spoonflower who print to order and are based in the USA (but the range of prints is incredible). I have, however, found something from the UK, not with guinea pigs though.

Daughter 1 wants to try her hand at dressmaking, and has chosen a pattern for a wrap skirt with a frill, I like the pattern too so we've both got fabric. I've also ordered some hoping to make a scrub top, some fabric caps for work and some drawstring scrub bags. The scrubs patterns were either unavailable or took too many pages to print so I've ordered trousers ready made and will make a simple pattern off an existing top. (I don't really have enough for the more frequent changes I'll need to do)

Daughter 2 has taken an old jumper and followed an instagram tutorial to repurpose it as a cropped cardigan with a tie front, it looks really good, I'm quite impressed as she did it with no help at all.
May 2020
7:49am, 19 May 2020
12,736 posts
  •  
Garfield
Sounds good Meglet. I tried my hand at a mask making over the weekend, of the pleated variety.

I think I'm going to have to run the elastic through as there's a rather large gap at the side on both sides!
May 2020
8:13am, 19 May 2020
6,421 posts
  •  
sallykate
Meglet, a friend who usually works in wardrobe in theatres has sewn scrubs; she says she got the pattern from the For the Love of Scrubs facebook page. You have to print it off yourself, or an online service (she used Blue Sky Printing I think) can do it for you and send it to you for about £5.

I have 66 masks to make for friends...thank goodness for my rotary cutter!
May 2020
8:42am, 19 May 2020
21,031 posts
  •  
Meglet
That’ll keep you busy SK!

Garfield I found that with a pleated one, even with taking the elastic through a tube at the side. I think it needed an extra please so the height of the side was shorter. That’s why I’ve switched to a shaped one.

I’ve seen kits on amazon for about £10 with fabric, elastic and mouldable nose pieces which could be a good option if you don’t already have supplies.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557