Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
May 2020
10:09pm, 21 May 2020
21,039 posts
  •  
Meglet
I can't get my head round pdf patterns. 36 pages to print for a pair of scrubs trousers! And I prefer tissue paper patterns as well.

Here's a question, if you have a multi-size pattern do you cut it to the size you're making? I tend to cut if out at the largest and fold the excess in just in case I want to make a larger size in future, but I'm not sure I ever have!
May 2020
10:14pm, 21 May 2020
26,786 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I struggle with pdf patterns and avoid them -I have taken them to a print shop on a usb stick, but that’s not cheap either

The jersey top pattern I use most has had at least 12 uses so far so cost per use is coming down - I’ve cut it to my size and trace with carbon paper when making for Girl
May 2020
10:17pm, 21 May 2020
21,040 posts
  •  
Meglet
That's pretty good going. I haven't found a decent jersey top pattern, which one is yours and what neck shape does it have? I wear jersey tops a lot but a lot are plain and I'd like some more jazzy ones!
May 2020
10:18pm, 21 May 2020
26,787 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Agnes from Tilly and the buttons - I do the plain version without ruching and with straight sleeves

shop.tillyandthebuttons.com
May 2020
10:20pm, 21 May 2020
26,788 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I can get a short sleeve one out of a metre of jersey as long as its 140 wide
May 2020
10:54pm, 21 May 2020
4,113 posts
  •  
Cyclops
My sister bought the Dartmouth top pattern from Cashmerette. We've both had loads of tops from it..
May 2020
6:53am, 22 May 2020
38,023 posts
  •  
Purps
Mbjm has paper patterns as well as pdf ones. Or there's a pdf version at A0 size you can send to a print shop. She's got a few t shirts with different neck lines and her patterns are great to follow. I should post my makes.

As for sizing, trace the size you want if you have all the sizes, I've got burda paper for tracing, but you can use anything you can trace through.
May 2020
7:35am, 22 May 2020
5,341 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
These guys seem really reasonable for printing patterns:
wildorchardfabric.uk
May 2020
7:56am, 22 May 2020
21,041 posts
  •  
Meglet
Thanks HB, that’s a nice pattern and I like the centre gather as well. Plus it’s shaped at the waist, a lot of the ones I saw online weren’t.
May 2020
8:33am, 22 May 2020
4,114 posts
  •  
Cyclops
There is a company called Dotty Print in Ilkley that my sister uses to print out her patterns.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557