•  
runnyeyes

Isn’t she pretty?
May 2020
8:03am, 14 May 2020
1,670 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
I’ve never had a sewing machine.. but want to learn basics now. This is my mother in laws old singer. Good for starting with.
May 2020
8:04am, 14 May 2020
1,671 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
When sewing machines were made of metal... before our time I think.
May 2020
8:19am, 14 May 2020
12,699 posts
  •  
Garfield
My mother had a slightly older version of yours...and I learned how to sew using it. It's definitely a good one to start with. :)
May 2020
8:51am, 14 May 2020
21,004 posts
  •  
Meglet
Nice one runnyeyes.

I think removable wire or pipe cleaner is the way to go, I’m sure mine won’t stand up to washing. They’ll either bend or poke through or tarnish. Might look at a small purchase, though I may have some fat quarters somewhere.
May 2020
8:53am, 14 May 2020
46,511 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
One of my colleagues firtles the wires out of used NHS face masks and reuses them in her sewn masks. I don't know how well they perform.
May 2020
8:53am, 14 May 2020
2,259 posts
  •  
fraggle
The old Singers are fabulous, the modern ones not so :-( as I learned from experience. I have a Janome one now, and its way better

Masks - I'm using old sheets and pillowcases as the fabric old ,worn and comfy. Sometimes something a bit more jazzy for the outer though :-) Ive got one old duvet cover which was a pale gold/duck egg blue damask print kind of thing, and always felt cool to the touch, so ideal for this, but as its so old and faded, it looks almost flesh tone and my mask had a bit too much Hannibal Lecter about it :-o so Im making another this weekend :-)
May 2020
8:57am, 14 May 2020
26,748 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I was wearing dinosaur print at food bank yesterday :-)
May 2020
9:01am, 14 May 2020
17,455 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I had a count up and have 15 buffs ... do I need to make a mask!?
May 2020
9:05am, 14 May 2020
6,393 posts
  •  
sallykate
This is the kind of machine I learnt on: etsy.com - it had a long bobbin rather than the round ones used today.

I still have a 1930s Singer hand machine which an elderly not-relative left me in her will about 30 years ago - though it's at my brother's house so I can't use it (must get it back from him). "Auntie" Phyllis had kept a detailed record of all the times she oiled it. It worked beautifully.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557