Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

4 lurkers | 169 watchers
May 2020
7:25pm, 7 May 2020
2,241 posts
  •  
fraggle
ladysewandsew.co.uk
Good for all things quilty - for my t-shirt quilts I ironed a stabiliser to the back of them (one of the vilene products) so they didn’t stretch too much while I was making it.
Gus
May 2020
8:16pm, 7 May 2020
1,667 posts
  •  
Gus
Cheers fraggle
May 2020
9:28pm, 7 May 2020
2,443 posts
  •  
Drell
I know this has been answered before, but I'm too lazy to read back...

Yarn recommendations for baby clothes?

I realise that acrylic is good because you can just throw it in the machine, but it makes me uncomfortable from the carbon footprint point of view. But goodness knows I don't want to make life any more difficult than necessary for parents of young babies.

Any views?
May 2020
9:31pm, 7 May 2020
46,427 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I quite like superwash merino/nylon sock yarn for baby clothes.
May 2020
9:31pm, 7 May 2020
23,018 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
As a parent I'd say acrylic if it's going to get bodily fluids on (everything?). Or make sure they know if the cotton/viscose/wool can be hot washed.
May 2020
9:32pm, 7 May 2020
23,019 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
That's sounds like lovely stuff, V'rap.
May 2020
9:36pm, 7 May 2020
2,444 posts
  •  
Drell
That does sound good, V'rap. Any brand recommendations?
May 2020
9:41pm, 7 May 2020
46,428 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Not au fait with some of the newer dyers but Wollmeise would be my top pick. Their 100% merino fingering is resilient enough for endless trips through the washing machine and tumble dryer and they have some fantastic muted/marbled shades now. I have a suspicion that West Yorkshire Spinners has introduced a baby yarn but I've never used it.
May 2020
10:00pm, 7 May 2020
2,445 posts
  •  
Drell
I've used Wollmeise yarns a fair amount, both Pure (fingering) and DK (guess what) but not yet their Twin, which is I guess what you mean. Good shout.

And it looks as if WYS do indeed have a baby yarn. Why only pastel colours!?! Sometimes I despair. wyspinners.com
May 2020
10:01pm, 7 May 2020
2,446 posts
  •  
Drell
Just reread and realised you probably meant Wollmeise Pure. I may even have enough leftovers of that to put together a baby cardi :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557