Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
4:47pm, 29 Aug 2011
17,021 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Poppyseed, yes, a little knitted or cross-stitched thing is a good place to start :)
Aug 2011
4:50pm, 29 Aug 2011
30,978 posts
  •  
LorraineS
... especially if it is something that you would like to use or wear as that will motivate you to complete :)
Aug 2011
5:02pm, 29 Aug 2011
7,899 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
poppyseed - cross stitch is easy to start. The way i learned was to get simple Aida fabric to stitch on (scraps from my mom) and then to just do rows to know how to do the crosses.

There are some really cute simple samplers that you can find that don't require many colours.
Aug 2011
5:07pm, 29 Aug 2011
7,900 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
[IMAGE]

The quilt I brought back with me on my recent visit to the states. My mom was glad to be rid of it.
Aug 2011
5:16pm, 29 Aug 2011
1,754 posts
  •  
sallykate
I have made a few log cabin quilts in the past but always as gifts for friends or family. I made one for my sister as a wedding present using scraps of material from skirts that either I or Mum had made her when she was a girl (yes, I am a hoarder when it comes to fabric).

Next on the list will be one for my daughter for her move up to a proper single bed. Not sure what that will be at the moment though.
Aug 2011
5:49pm, 29 Aug 2011
692 posts
  •  
spinkle
Wow, that's an epic quilt!!

I tend to make them smaller and we have a few but I have run out of people to give them to!! So my machine has been put away for a while. I'd like to make one for my son though, incorporating all of his favourite things (mostly Disney *stuff*)
Aug 2011
5:54pm, 29 Aug 2011
17,022 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That's phenomenal, OS, and very American :)

I made patchwork cushions when I was at university, and started what was meant to be a HUGE quilt made of little hexagons. It became too big to lug around, and I had a lazy habit of re-using my little paper hexagon templates, so the hexagons became more and more wonky. And then I mothballed it due to too many competing interests, and years later, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get any more of the background material, I gave it to a charity shop.

This was all done by hand. I can't imagine doing actual quilting without a machine!

Good cottage industry material there for someone, though - patchwork quilts sell really well on eBay :)
Aug 2011
5:58pm, 29 Aug 2011
205 posts
  •  
poppyseed
Wow! I love the quilt! Did it take forever to make? My mum is a great knitter but she is finding complicated patterns a bit difficult nowadays (she's 80+) I think I'll nip over tomorrow and have a rummage around in her knitting stash. I think I'll start with squares for a blanket, that should be good practice.
Aug 2011
6:39pm, 29 Aug 2011
5,747 posts
  •  
runner duck
it'll get your needles clickety clacking again, ps :)

my mum has got into cross stitch over the last fifteen years. i started her off when she saw me doing a little bookmark thing i'd bought in laura ashley. she's like a production line now. the place she gets them framed in liverpool have offered to sell them but she's strangely averse to this. not sure why. i've said she should give them to charities to sell/auction. she's got a few still looking for a 'home'.

showed the coasters to a friend and she seemed to think they would def sell. will still wait to check with the friend who will be selling them before i go into full production tho :)
Aug 2011
6:47pm, 29 Aug 2011
30,979 posts
  •  
LorraineS
does she design them herself or use charts, runner duckee ?

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557