Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2011
11:18pm, 28 Aug 2011
7,924 posts
  •  
Girlie
Love the blanket and star Rd- Are they Debbie Abrahams patterns by chance?

V-rap- 105 skeins:-0 but if the yarn is inthe sale you have saved money :-)
Aug 2011
11:24pm, 28 Aug 2011
50,218 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My mum wasn't very patient, so never did much herself... she did try and help me and felt sorry for me, but as she didn't think it was that importnat a skill to posess largely ignored the teachers negative comments and let me go play in the woods and build tree houses in stead :)

It does mean that I now have to buy my socks, rather than knit them ;) and I also have no idea what a skein is :-O
Aug 2011
11:19am, 29 Aug 2011
7,925 posts
  •  
Girlie
As promised here's the socks I finished last night

Theres a couple more pics of them in better light on Ravelry and FB
Aug 2011
12:03pm, 29 Aug 2011
2,626 posts
  •  
Star x
oooh - they're braw!

lol at Hann :-)
Aug 2011
12:25pm, 29 Aug 2011
5,734 posts
  •  
runner duck
wow they are gorgeous, girlie!

i have a nice sock pattern i kept out of a 'knitter' magazine with mistletoe bobbles on them. i also have wool that i think might be the right type but i'm not sure. i will dig both out and get advice on here. i do get a bit confused with all these skeins of lighter weight wools. i haven't really used them and don't really understand it all properly!

i do like rowan wools and both blankets are in their pure new wool dk. hideously expensive but the colours are so soft, no chemically hardness.

lol at hann! my mum was too busy cleaning to teach me to knit, and didn't do any herself. but we learnt at primary school and my auntie and my friend's mum helped at home.

i never did much at the time but i'd learned enough that i could always remember the basics afterwords. there are still a lot of things i haven't done, yet, tho. like icord - has anyone here done that?
Aug 2011
12:30pm, 29 Aug 2011
30,976 posts
  •  
LorraineS
nice wee youtube video on icord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcGj6tpqeJA
Aug 2011
12:36pm, 29 Aug 2011
5,736 posts
  •  
runner duck
omg! that is so easy!!!

brilliant, thanks, lorraines :)

it goes to show that if you have the basic stitches you can easily learn the other techniques :)
Aug 2011
1:07pm, 29 Aug 2011
17,006 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've never actually made an icord but I look forward to needing one for something :)

Like you, RD, there are lots of things I haven't actually done but have thought, "What a clever idea, and so simple!" about. And things that I used to do that were "wrong" according to my mum and gran (knitted darts and waste-yarn cast-ons spring to mind - it seemed to make more sense to pick up a row of ready-made little stitches rather than a cast-on edge!)

I got my sums all wrong last night - I managed to add four 10s and three 5s up to make 105. And haven't actually bought any skeins anyway, though I think I will get just a small amount to see whether I like the yarns.
Aug 2011
1:12pm, 29 Aug 2011
17,007 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Oops! And I love those socks, Girlie :) I think I'm out of my depth here. Bit like with running and cycling ;)

I was thinking today, while I was out on my bike, that I could do with some arm-warmers and they'd be technically very easy to knit - just shaped tubes. But with what? They need to retain heat but be a bit breathable, not get soaking wet (either from sweat inside a raincoat or from rain as an outer layer) and fit closely but have a bit of "give" in them, and cope with being put through the washing machine without shrinking or going baggy. I wonder whether you can get recycled Pertex yarn made from old windproofs in the same way as you can get skeins of silk made from old saris :)
Aug 2011
1:19pm, 29 Aug 2011
7,927 posts
  •  
Girlie
V-rap, sock yarn? esp the sort with a bit of nylon in the blend to make them machine washable? They would have the thermal properties of socks, but alas not be waterproof.

Icords are fab for bag handles on felted bags as you get a strong tube to carry the bag with. Yiu can also make them with one of those French knitting dolly things or an old cotton reel with nails banged in it as we were too poor to have a bought one back in the day:-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557