Electric car anyone?

4 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
10:04am, 9 Jul 2021
39,115 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
What charge point do you have Larks? I'm EO Mini - I didn't actually look at types of charger that the electrician quoted for until after I'd booked the job, but the best ones seem to be

The Best Home Electric Vehicle Chargers:
1. Myenergi Zappi
2. Ohme Wall Charger
3. EO Mini Pro 2

theecoexperts.co.uk

Other reviews are available!

A pal recommended Zappi too. And Octopus have a 1/2 hourly tariff that only works with Ohme charger. So I've ended up with possibly a "less good" device. But it seems OK. It's without the cable, so a tiny wee box on the wall.
Jul 2021
10:27am, 9 Jul 2021
22,818 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Maybe there will be electric car "filling stations" (essentially, car parks with charging points at each space) with mini-supermarket/ coffee shop onsite?

Or, since supermarkets often have car parks much bigger than needed, and coffee shops, just stick fifty rapid chargepoints in them.
Jul 2021
10:30am, 9 Jul 2021
141 posts
  •  
theOtherRichard
:-) G: And Octopus have a 1/2 hourly tariff that only works with Ohme charger. So I've ended up with possibly a "less good" device. But it seems OK. It's without the cable, so a tiny wee box on the wall.

If it's the Agile tariff you might be better off without for now. ;-)
I've been experimenting that for the past 7 or 8 months.

It is supposed to encourage you to use electricity when generation is at its most green. So, you have cheapish power most of the day and very expensive at peak (up to 35p/kWh).
The trouble is, it seems that the UK is very reliant on wind for its green energy. When I started, in the winter months I got some really good rates - they even paid me to take electricity off the grid a couple of times. But since the spring, I'm definitely paying more than Economy 7 and mostly more than standard rate. I'm possibly at break even at the moment, but it's pretty close. I was about £20 up in the first couple of months.
Some of that is presumably down to supply and demand - electricity is expensive on the markets at the moment - but some of it must be due to the fact that our solar generation is under developed. (Something that the NG ESO app backs up - even on the sunny days, we seem to struggle to get more than 15-20% of the mix from solar.)
Jul 2021
10:38am, 9 Jul 2021
39,117 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Interesting, tOR - I've gone with Octopus Go rather than Agile (like Larkim's it's just the 4 cheap hours at night), as I wasn't sure about the 1/2 hourly tracking and its variability.

Dv - exactly, this is what gov't needs to look at. Until market forces establish themselves to "compete" for the electric car charging, we need some central and local gov't push to make it work better. Your suggestions of "charge stations" with a shop + coffee place and/or just add lots of charge points to existing shop + coffee locations (like supermarkets) are both good.

A mutual running pal of ours Graeme S at Harmeny says he goes to Tesco or Sainsbury's (Podpoint) and gets free juice from them. So it's influenced his weekly shopping habits. :-) G
Jul 2021
11:00am, 9 Jul 2021
5,070 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Dvorak - you mean this sort of thing:
current-news.co.uk
Jul 2021
11:20am, 9 Jul 2021
39,118 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Interestingly, that's at exactly the limit of my car's range - might be where I stop! Thanks TR! :-) G
Jul 2021
11:21am, 9 Jul 2021
39,119 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Actually, not quite! Boo!
Jul 2021
11:24am, 9 Jul 2021
20,918 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Following with interest, as our elderly diesel is on its last legs and we will probably need to buy another car soon.

I would very much like to get an electric one, but as it'll be our only car, I'm not sure it'll be practical.
Jul 2021
11:32am, 9 Jul 2021
39,120 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Carps - I think the only usage that EVs are problematic for are:

Someone driving e.g. 500 + mile journey with a driver or drivers who want minimal stop times e.g. if you are racing or on some other time critical.

For everyone else, if you are happy to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours or so, then it's practical! Cheaper to run than combustion engine (cheaper to fill up, cheaper to service etc.), green (obv).

The big barrier is more expensive to buy. But if you are OK with leasing, then because the leaser is calculating the residual value, they are constantly adjusting and there are deals to be had. Still more expensive than equivalent ICE car today, but maybe not by too much.

Did you have something specific in mind in terms of practicality? :-) G
jda
Jul 2021
12:05pm, 9 Jul 2021
10,482 posts
  •  
jda
There are still very limited options for vans. Or were last time I looked.

What’s the best option for carrying around a tandem, perhaps two? We currently have a LWB Vivaro (and the length is necessary). And we sometimes sleep in it too.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.