Electric car anyone?

9 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
12:53pm, 2 Jul 2021
7,187 posts
  •  
paul the builder
All this time we've known each other; only now do I find out you're a bluenose :-o
Jul 2021
12:58pm, 2 Jul 2021
39,074 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was going to protest and :-O etc, then realised you are referring to WW! Something about football?
Jul 2021
4:47pm, 2 Jul 2021
5,193 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I recall some abuse in the past ptb. Some reds throw so much of it around that they can't remember in what direction it was aimed. meeeoooow!

back to cars. I do like my one, I suppose it's not pure red....

Jul 2021
9:05pm, 2 Jul 2021
22,743 posts
  •  
Dvorak
SMMT new car sales and cars on road outlook to 2035. Interesting reading, I thought smmt.co.uk
Jul 2021
11:16pm, 2 Jul 2021
7,188 posts
  •  
paul the builder

That's nice, although some sort of grill and a number plate would ease my eyeballs even further.

I want a decent choice of BEV estate cars, and I want them now! (Actually 2-3 years is fine. But I do want one then, once you boys have ironed out all the early adopter problems)
Jul 2021
12:12am, 3 Jul 2021
4,797 posts
  •  
run free
Hi All - in case anyone is interested, we are hosting a virtual discussion about Electric cars on 26th July at 8pm. You will be able to find out infrastructure available and stuff about electric cars. You can register here:

stjohnsegham.com
Jul 2021
5:30pm, 3 Jul 2021
39,080 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Well first electric car bad experience on Day 3!

Trying to use Charge Your Car app, which should allow me to use many charge points paying with either direct debit with an account (using an RFID card) or immediate payment with a debit/credit card.

Had registered the app, the account etc. Added a card etc. yesterday. All said successful. Rocked up at a charging point, the app recognised it and hit Start Charge.

Error 404 server not found. Eh?

Called the help number - two different numbers, the one that answered as BP Pulse support (yes it was right support for the app, just wrong announcement), had to wait 12 mins to get through, then disconnected, waited another 10 mins on hold. Got through.

Oh, this charge point is out of service.
Is it? Shows as working on my app. And it's got green lights on it.

No, def out of service.
OK, I'll try another one.

Drove to another (close by luckily). Same error. Called again, 14 min on hold. Got through (by this time I'd left and gone home! Didn't actually need to charge - this isn't a horror story!)

There's a problem with the app. Let me check with a colleague. 4 mins on hold! Yes, the app isn't working. You need to use the RFID tag.
I haven't got one.
Ah. The app is being fixed. Should be working in about 4 weeks.

WTAF?! I tell you, EV is going to struggle if you can't pay with a debit/credit card. I mean, parking meters let you do it. Coke machines let you do it. And of course pay at pump petrol and diesel dispensers let you do it.

Aaargh!

Like I say, doesn't actually matter. I'm doing the trickle charge at home. I wasn't out of charge anyway (120 miles done, 160 plus still available). Should be full by tomorrow morning. But this stuff is important environment people. Imagine if I were a granny in a lower capacity EV car. I'd be stuck in the rain by the roadside now.

:-) G
Jul 2021
6:56pm, 3 Jul 2021
369 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
HG, I use zap-map which lets users report faulty charge points. Wonder if those faults are mentioned over there?
Jul 2021
10:27pm, 3 Jul 2021
39,081 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The charge points weren't faulty. It was the charge your car app that is duff. Useless! Trickle charging is working!
Jul 2021
9:29am, 4 Jul 2021
14,994 posts
  •  
larkim
Sadly seems like a not uncommon tale. Unmanned petrol pumps have worked for a while pretty reliably, it feels like the ev charging network has over complicated the infrastructure so it's plagued with issues like that.

Most of the time it does work of course, but failure rates seem too high.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.