Electric car anyone?

5 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
11:14am, 2 Jul 2021
14,976 posts
  •  
larkim
The app stuff for the e208 is good *when it works*. It's just not hugely reliable.

Can't do the range of stuff you can do in terms of opening / shutting things on the car. It could do with having more flexibility on the charging scheduling; at the moment it can only schedule a deferred "start" not the end or duration, and that also requires some intervention when you plug it in to tell the car "use the deferred charge settings this time". Works OK for me as my home charger is set to only deliver power between 00:30 and 04:30 so the car just gets what it's given, but I know plenty of other e208 owners who haven't got home chargers with such timers built in and they want more out of the app.
Jul 2021
11:22am, 2 Jul 2021
5,191 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
great news G, glad to hear that you are enjoying it and what a find to have those 2 fast chargers just down the road from you. Hope that there's not too much competition for them as you work through getting the home charging optimized. It doesn't feel like you ordered it that long ago, maybe you've been fortunate in this period of restricted supply?

I realize that this sounds all a bit odd but Mrs WW works for Volvo, that explains it in part....

...we got a new XC40 BEV this week, replacing the previous one we had since Feb and we'd done 1,500 miles in. There's not a lot of difference, obviously, but this one has some sort of upgrade that means that it sounds like a submarine sonar when it reverses. That's actually a good add from my perspective. Oh, and this one is red. Ugh!

Goodness knows what happens to the used one now. Hopefully, it goes in to the used car market - only wish it could go in there without the trust issues from the potential buyers. Hmm....
Jul 2021
11:27am, 2 Jul 2021
365 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Scheduled charging hasn't been 100% straightforward for me, one time I thought I'd set it up and nothing had happened when I came to drive the ID4 the next morning.

Has worked the other times, but am nervous that the car might not accept the charge if the cable has been plugged in for hours and everything has gone to sleep when it's meant to kick in. So I now check the VW app around 30 mins prior to charge starting to wake the car up a bit.
Jul 2021
11:30am, 2 Jul 2021
39,069 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I would have loved the XC40 second hand if such a thing had existed WW.

Yeah, I ordered it 3rd June and it arrived yesterday, I don't know if that is quick, as I haven't bought/leased new for such a long time. I didn't want the default blue (flat, bright blue colour, like lego plastic!) which I could have got straight away. And apparently the sort of metallic grey wasn't available for love nor money. So the colour is... red! (Not ugh!?) Sort of metallic dark red. It's OK. I didn't get it for its looks!

Very limited boot space, weird, for a hatchback. But as it's just me or me and mrs most of time, I'll fold down back seats if I need more space. e.g. taking the canoe paddles or the toy cars in big boxes and camping table etc.

I may come across the charger timing issues that you have experienced larks. Haven't got to that yet. But just doing the top up in the 4 cheap night hours should do me most of the time.

The 15p per kWh is called Charge Place Scotland and is obviously a gov't / council initiative - there is a council office building with 2 of them (open all the time) and a bus park and ride car park with 4 (and several more expensive eVolt ones too - are they really 45p per kWh?!) :-) G
Jul 2021
11:37am, 2 Jul 2021
139 posts
  •  
theOtherRichard
Sounds exciting :-) G
[Not jealous at all ;-) ]
Jul 2021
11:42am, 2 Jul 2021
5,192 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
apologies about the red gaff from me there G! I had a look at the Konas and I actually quite like the orange one believe it or not!!

My dislike of red simply comes from being a Toffee...
Jul 2021
11:44am, 2 Jul 2021
14,980 posts
  •  
larkim
You've got a red manager though now ;-)
Jul 2021
11:58am, 2 Jul 2021
39,072 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That sounds like something to do with football (Ugh!) ;-)
Jul 2021
12:00pm, 2 Jul 2021
26,879 posts
  •  
Dave.O
Is the app the UVO aap HappyG ? If it is you can also track the car if someone borrows it and look at the speeds they have been doing.
Jul 2021
12:53pm, 2 Jul 2021
39,073 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
No Dave, it's Hyundai Bluelink. UVO is Kia, a quick Google tells me. Might be same technology underneath? It has a "Guest" mode and you can stop them listening to music and track where and how fast they go etc! I haven't told my wife that I could "monitor" her! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.